Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting In the Wind Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Shooting In the Wind Question

I've been learning and practicing a ton over the last 5 yrs. But, I still struggle with a certain condition. When shooting from a hill across a valley floor to another hill, I can't seem to judge the wind correctly. A couple spots where we shoot from 750 to over 1000 yds., we will be on a hill and the land drops away up to 100 ft. and the target will be on a rock wall or hill across the valley or ravine. I can get a good wind reading from where I'm at and then look at grass and leaves near the target and conditions seem to be close to the same. But when I shoot, it seems like I've misjudged the wind by half of what it's really blowing. Once I was shooting at 750 and was getting a wind reading of 9-11 mph from 3 o'clock. I shot and missed left. Made an adjustment and still missed left. Checked the wind again and it was the same. Made another adjustment and got a hit. The adjustment would indicate an 18 mph wind though. I don't have these same issues shooting over flatter land.
What is all of your suggestions and experiences in similar conditions?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting In the Wind Question

I don't know if you read "Applied Ballistics for the Long Range Shooter" if not I highly recommend it. Bryan Litz highlights this exact occurance. according to Bryan (I've seen the same thing myself) wind is at it's lowest velocity at ground level, and the higher you get from ground level the more wind speed you'll have. So (I use your example terrain) say you have a 10mph wind where your sitting, ground level on the other side shows the same conditions as well. As your bullet path gets higher from ground level (think directly below the bullet at one point in flight) the winds will progressively increase, so mid flight your bullet can very well be encountering 20mph winds. How do you read this? You look for dust, debris, (cotton from a cottonwood tree) floating in air. Without debris your left with a best guess.

Like I said get the book, Bryan points out everything you have to consider, including the effects the terrain has on localized wind patterns.

Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting 2nd Edition

and

https://store.appliedballisticsllc.c...ProductCode=AP
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I don't know if you read "Applied Ballistics for the Long Range Shooter" if not I highly recommend it. Bryan Litz highlights this exact occurance. according to Bryan (I've seen the same thing myself) wind is at it's lowest velocity at ground level, and the higher you get from ground level the more wind speed you'll have. So (I use your example terrain) say you have a 10mph wind where your sitting, ground level on the other side shows the same conditions as well. As your bullet path gets higher from ground level (think directly below the bullet at one point in flight) the winds will progressively increase, so mid flight your bullet can very well be encountering 20mph winds. How do you read this? You look for dust, debris, (cotton from a cottonwood tree) floating in air. Without debris your left with a best guess.

Like I said get the book, Bryan points out everything you have to consider, including the effects the terrain has on localized wind patterns.

Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting 2nd Edition

and

https://store.appliedballisticsllc.c...ProductCode=AP
+1
To add to it that is one of the most challenging situations, as you get even more free air 200, 300 + feet above a valley things get even more tricky. There may be no signs you need to look at additional valleys leading in and angles and practice practice practice It gets a little easier but never easy.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

I am having the same challenge. The places I shoot rock chucks are above timberline, usually around 12000'. I am shooting around 1000-1400 yards and my bullets are probably close to a quarter mile above the ground in a couple areas I shoot. Very frustrating. I'm going to have to read Litz' book myself.