Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting uphill vs downhill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Shooting uphill vs downhill

I was watching a hunting show on the tube last night, and the host was talking about shooting uphill and downhill.
The host said that when shooting uphill at say 400 yards it would be like making a 200 yard shot depending on the angle, and the shooter in alot of cases could just shoot straight at the animal, and in some cases maybe even hold under the animal to make the shot. The host the said when shooting downhill depending on the angle the shooter should hold over the animal to make the shot. The host did say that every situation is different, and to use this as just a guidline.
I know that alot of you have far gretaer knowledge about shooting than I have, so do you think that what the host on that TV show was right with his comments, about uphill and downhill shooting?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting uphill vs downhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty15 View Post
I was watching a hunting show on the tube last night, and the host was talking about shooting uphill and downhill.
The host said that when shooting uphill at say 400 yards it would be like making a 200 yard shot depending on the angle, and the shooter in alot of cases could just shoot straight at the animal, and in some cases maybe even hold under the animal to make the shot. The host the said when shooting downhill depending on the angle the shooter should hold over the animal to make the shot. The host did say that every situation is different, and to use this as just a guidline.
I know that alot of you have far gretaer knowledge about shooting than I have, so do you think that what the host on that TV show was right with his comments, about uphill and downhill shooting?
The only thing the guy said that was correct was that you need to make corrections for up and down shots.

It doesn't matter if it is up or down. Gravity only affects the horizontal distance that the bullet travels. It will always be a shorter distance than the distance between the rifle and target.

This is why we want the cosine angle or cosine factor. You use this to calculate the horizontal distance that the bullet will travel.

That is about as simple as it can be answered without going into trig and geometric mathematics.

If you want the nut and bolts of the math and how it all works, ask Eaglet. He loves that stuff.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

There is a very good thread on this subject in the Technical Articles Forum. Shooting at angles.

Basically, the shooting dynamics of shooting up or downhill are the same, in that you are componsating for the horizontal distance traveled and not straight line distance.

Another thing to consider is the path the bullet will take through the body of the animal. If it's a significant angle upwards, you want the bullet to enter low, in order to pass through the vitals and you want the bullet to enter high when shooting down hill.

Read the other thread. Some very good articles and links in it.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

The article in the technical articles is very good. So basically if you are shooting up hill or down hill once you have determined the distance to the target the shooting distance will always be less than what was ranged due to the affect of gravity on the bullet. Does that sound right.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The article in the technical articles is very good. So basically if you are shooting up hill or down hill once you have determined the distance to the target the shooting distance will always be less than what was ranged due to the affect of gravity on the bullet. Does that sound right.
Correct - And the (corrected) distance for holdover can be calculated and corrected for.

I might add that for a 400 yd shot to be adjusted to a 200 yd hold-over the angle would have to be EXTREME. It would require an uphill or downhill angle of about 60 degrees.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

To summarize the article, here is what it says.

1. Get the range with your range finder
2. Get the drops for that range
3. Get the angle and the cosine of the angle
4. Multiply the cosine times the DROP (NOT THE RANGE).
5. Dial in the reduced drop.

The cosine times the range is not the same as the cosine times the drop.
We have had agreement on this method for over a year now and there is no reason for anybody to be doing it wrong anymore.

The question of uphill versus downhill is just a very small difference and is only of interest to those of us who are too lazy to find something more worth while to do. Some ballistic programs will calculate a difference at very long ranges
Old 11-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is amazing what you see on the tube and read in magazines.

And he was dead wrong ,As the guys said .

Kind of like the guy that had his rifle sighted in at 100yrds and said he killed his deer at 600yrds
by holding at the top of his back.

You cain't fix stupid

J E CUSTOM