Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Your formula gives only the range, it ignores the diffent effect of gravity on bullett drop when shooting extreme angles.
by the way the spelling is 'different' not 'diffent' and 'bullet' not 'bullett'

while we are at correcting everyones speeling!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
yes i understand this but long range hunting were not exactly trying to pick off eggs on an 85 degree angle. The question was [
If a hunter was in a position to make a clean shot at a big fat White tail Deer that is standing broad side, and is up hill or in the same position but down hill, how should that hunter aim?
The hunter also knows the distance..
]
this equation also does not take into account extreme range.
at normal long ranges on angles encountered in most hunting situations this simple equation will get you close enouph to bag a deer or an elk. on all but the most extreme angles it'll get you close enouph for jack rabbit and yote.

aww dam miss speeled coyote. must mean i missed biology that day
Anything over 30 degrees is an "extreme angle" when you are shooting.

Simply knowing the exact range just gurantees you miss by less if you are not accounting for the difference in elevation.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
by the way the spelling is 'different' not 'diffent' and 'bullet' not 'bullett'

while we are at correcting everyones speeling!
I wasn't correcting your spelling.

On the other hand anytime you want to get into a spelling contest with me I promise you will lose.

Last edited by WildRose; 04-15-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I wasn't correcting your spelling.

On the other hand anytime you want to get into a spelling contest with me I promise you will lose.
sorry i wasn't really pointing it at u just pizzed me off when whatzhiznuzz corrected mine. i just picked on u to show this isn't a speeling contest (note i missed spelled spelling in the same post as sarcasm) anyhow 30 degrees is not so extreme that the simple cosine x distance formula will not work out to 1000 (pushing the limit albeit) on a whitetail deer (14" vitals) which was the original question

Last edited by load; 04-15-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Poor quality advice is poor quality advice and repeating it doesn't make it any better, its still poor quality.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

And who cares about spelling anyway, heck most of us are only a bunch of high tech rednecks anyway.
mike
Old 04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Poor quality advice is poor quality advice and repeating it doesn't make it any better, its still poor quality.
look blob i understand the whole cosine x the drop bit but the difference is so small it isnt going to matter on a whitetail which was the question anyway. most people will not encounter a situation were cosine x range will not work for them when shooting at big game and is much easier to explain than going into technical details. like i said earlier the question was about shooting whitetail not eggs besides its not "my math" its the typical "riflemans rule"

Last edited by load; 04-15-2011 at 10:41 PM.