Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

use the horizantal distance for any real shootable distance. distance x angle cosin= range to target. or c squared - b squared = distance to target squared. have fun!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
distance x angle cosin= range to target.
Yes, have fun, but make sure you have a lot of bullets because you won't hit anything with that goofy math. It'll be Vienna sausages and crakers only with no elk steaks for you

You should have paid more attention during geometry class. Cosine is spelled with an"'e".
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member

Or....just get one of these. The Vector will give you the distance to the target as well as the horizontal distance,(range to adjust for) and vertical distance as to how far above or below you are from the target.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
use the horizantal distance for any real shootable distance. distance x angle cosin= range to target. or c squared - b squared = distance to target squared. have fun!
Your formula gives only the range, it ignores the diffent effect of gravity on bullett drop when shooting extreme angles.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Yes, have fun, but make sure you have a lot of bullets because you won't hit anything with that goofy math. It'll be Vienna sausages and crakers only with no elk steaks for you

You should have paid more attention during geometry class. Cosine is spelled with an"'e".
i didn't realize i had to spell cosine right for the math to work! this simple equation has worked good enouph for me so far. hunting in the rockies. It'll get anyone one alot closer than just the typical "aim low" crap. exact? no but close enouph to hit an elk at a shootable distance? YES. whats more you can spend all day punching figures into a calculator and still not hit anywere close to your figures. it better to just understand the basic principles of why and get out and shoot!
i didn't realize we were here to correct speeling or grammar for that matter. how about punctuation ya'll goin to rip me for that one also

you can go ahead and speel check all you want i'm goin' shootin'
Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

[

Last edited by load; 04-14-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Your formula gives only the range, it ignores the diffent effect of gravity on bullett drop when shooting extreme angles.
yes i understand this but long range hunting were not exactly trying to pick off eggs on an 85 degree angle. The question was [
If a hunter was in a position to make a clean shot at a big fat White tail Deer that is standing broad side, and is up hill or in the same position but down hill, how should that hunter aim?
The hunter also knows the distance..
]
this equation also does not take into account extreme range.
at normal long ranges on angles encountered in most hunting situations this simple equation will get you close enouph to bag a deer or an elk. on all but the most extreme angles it'll get you close enouph for jack rabbit and yote.

aww dam miss speeled coyote. must mean i missed biology that day