Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I agree. My son is 16 and in wrestling, football, track, baseball,hunts. One of the assistant coaches that I went to HS with is a x SEAL and former instructor for same. He is 50, 6' plus and over 200 lbs. He jumped on pull up bar and cranked out 22 pull ups, beat all the kids. I could do 30 when I got out of HS. I WENT TO BAR I set up for son , did 14. Next day felt like someone was pulling my arms off
Well like I tell my wife, " I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I'll ever be"... .

The sad part is my eyes. I can't read the dails on my scope without glasses but I can still spot a bob cat moving along the edge of a woodline at 750yds, or a coyote crossing a wheat field at 1000 or more.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Yes i agree, at normal hunting distances a general horiziontal distance is adequate. Simple and quick.. Which i think is what the question was for.

For long range shooting...it's best to pull out your range finder and calculator (lap top). Wind gages , a barometer, and chronograph are nice toys to have, Bullet coffecients and velocities and air densities are a must. But if you use these toys you won't be asking for holdover in generalities.

The bullet trajectory is changing so swiftly at the long ranges that additional equipment is needed.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes i agree, at normal hunting distances a general horiziontal distance is adequate. Simple and quick.. Which i think is what the question was for.

Dispensing poor quality advice doesn't change and we have spent a week getting one person to educate himself about angle shooting and no sooner than we get done with him than a person who not only knows less but is ten times lazier shows up with the same poor advice.

Some days I am inclined to believe the gene pool is actually a cesspool. This is just really disheartening.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 AM

I apologize to you long range mongers.. who want to only shoot at 600 to 1000yds.. Yes you need to calculate the drop and dial it in. But there are also people who only shoot at game up to 500 yards. This is point blank range. Using a simple duplex reticle. No range adjustment knobs. I zero my 300 win mag in at 325 yards, dead nuts on at 25 yards or so, 3 to 4 inches high at 100 to 200 yards and 11 inches low at 400yds and another 17 drop at 500yds.. I have dropped lots of chucks estimating range and not having to dial in. quick snap shooting. Kentucky windage. I always keep the cross hairs on the animal. With the typical animal body this keeps me hitting. Using the horiziontal distance as an indicator for these ranges works well and keeps me on target. The 110 grain bullet does a job on chucks.

I'm and engineer and i use the sine waves and cosine and calculate all kinds of things... sinx of 30 degrees is .5... I can calculate all the numbers i want.

I don't believe the person asking the question was talking about 600 to 1000 yds..

remind me not to answer to the forum any more please..
Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasam View Post

For long range shooting...it's best to pull out your range finder and calculator (lap top). Wind gages , a barometer, and chronograph are nice toys to have, Bullet coffecients and velocities and air densities are a must. But if you use these toys you won't be asking for holdover in generalities.

The bullet trajectory is changing so swiftly at the long ranges that additional equipment is needed.
No that was not the original question.

Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

The title of this site is Long range Hunting.com

Unless stated otherwise the assumption is that all quesitons pertain to long range shooting.

That's why it helps to at least read the OP if not the whole thread before commenting.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasam View Post
I apologize to you long range mongers.. who want to only shoot at 600 to 1000yds.. Yes you need to calculate the drop and dial it in. But there are also people who only shoot at game up to 500 yards. This is point blank range. Using a simple duplex reticle. No range adjustment knobs. I zero my 300 win mag in at 325 yards, dead nuts on at 25 yards or so, 3 to 4 inches high at 100 to 200 yards and 11 inches low at 400yds and another 17 drop at 500yds.. I have dropped lots of chucks estimating range and not having to dial in. quick snap shooting. Kentucky windage. I always keep the cross hairs on the animal. With the typical animal body this keeps me hitting. Using the horiziontal distance as an indicator for these ranges works well and keeps me on target. The 110 grain bullet does a job on chucks.

I'm and engineer and i use the sine waves and cosine and calculate all kinds of things... sinx of 30 degrees is .5... I can calculate all the numbers i want.

I don't believe the person asking the question was talking about 600 to 1000 yds..

remind me not to answer to the forum any more please..
Again the title of this site is "long range hunting.com".

As an engineer do you generally jump into a project without reading the specs?

Patience wears thin when the same bad suggestion is made repeatedly in the same thread by multiple people who don't read the thread before commenting.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Long range shooting / hunting is determined differently by each individual. Each person has his own limits and capabilities. Everyone reading here isn't proficient to the same level. Some people may not want to shoot animals or targets past 600 yds. Yet we all learn from reading.

The question up hill or down hill was generalized. There were no specifics, angle, barometic pressure, humidity, wind, elevation...etc. Yes the links show you how to calculate the drop and holdover. And yes i can go there and read... but i could also determine it myself. I could also add in that you are two miles above the earth making the Horizontal shot??? How would you handle that..

I'm sorry that there are people with such bad mannors that they make comments about gene pools. I take it offensively when there are arrogants who critize people they don't know...

If you don't want new people into this sport just keep it up .. you are doing a good job. Just my two cents worth.