Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting up hill/ Shooting down hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
What are you making fun of my mildot master now By the way where the same age
No unless I misread it, you've got 20 years on me. I'm 48.

I was amongst the last classes however to compete in UIL slide rule competition in HS. After that year it was all calculator.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
No unless I misread it, you've got 20 years on me. I'm 48.

I was amongst the last classes however to compete in UIL slide rule competition in HS. After that year it was all calculator.
Maybe I typoed, I refernced 20 yrs. in mtns. but it has been 36 hunting same stuff. I'll be an older man like you next month Always wanted to shot a bear on my birthday
Old 04-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Maybe I typoed, I refernced 20 yrs. in mtns. but it has been 36 hunting same stuff. I'll be an older man like you next month Always wanted to shot a bear on my birthday
Well look on the bright side. I find I'm capable of doing everything I could at thirty now as well. It just hurts worse, takes longer to get over, but on the brighter side you'll find yourself getting so senile you often can't remember what hurt an hour ago but you're wondering what it is you did to hurt something else and can't remember either... .
Old 04-22-2011, 01:27 PM

Hey, guys you're making it too difficult shooting up and down hill.
The only distance that really matters is the horizontal distance to the target. The velocity gained from shooting down hill or velocity lost shooting up hill doesn't make any difference to your hold over point. Longer distance vertically (up or down) only speeds up or slows down your bullet your bullet. The added time in flight shooting up hill might add a little bit of difference but at hunting ranges it is minimal. The hold over to use is that of the horizontal distance to the target.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasam View Post
The only distance that really matters is the horizontal distance to the target. The velocity gained from shooting down hill or velocity lost shooting up hill doesn't make any difference to your hold over point. Longer distance vertically (up or down) only speeds up or slows down your bullet your bullet. The added time in flight shooting up hill might add a little bit of difference but at hunting ranges it is minimal. The hold over to use is that of the horizontal distance to the target.
Dont start. You will loose.

I will tell you what is too difficult. That is using the horozontal distance and missing the trophy of a lifetime. I know I dont want to live with that.

For closer ranges at minimal angle, horizontal distance is fair. If you are going to do something at all, do it right.

Aside from using the horizontal range method being mathematically wrong, add the factor of your line of sight distance is STILL 'X' yards. By using horizontal distance your MIL value is wrong, your MOA values are wrong, your click values are wrong etc....In other words if you are shooting at 1K and aim for 700 yards based on LOS distance * cosine of angle which your drop chart tells you to aim 69 clicks for 700 yards. Using a .25 MOA click value this works out to 1.75 MOA per click at 700 yards. The value for 1K is 2.5 MOA per click. So 2.5 MOA instead of 1.75 = 48 clicks. You would hit WAY too high my friend! To me, that is too difficult. There is a reason NONE of the ballistic calculators DO NOT use the horizontal distance method. If it worked at all, they would use it.

If you are going to cut corners at least use the improved riflemans method. That is taking actual line of sight MOA, Click or inch value * cosine of the angle. This method is FAR more accurate than taking line of sight * cosine.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 04-22-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

I agree. My son is 16 and in wrestling, football, track, baseball,hunts. One of the assistant coaches that I went to HS with is a x SEAL and former instructor for same. He is 50, 6' plus and over 200 lbs. He jumped on pull up bar and cranked out 22 pull ups, beat all the kids. I could do 30 when I got out of HS. I WENT TO BAR I set up for son , did 14. Next day felt like someone was pulling my arms off
Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasam View Post
I suggest you read the thread as there's a lot of valuable information.

Your points work fine for distances out to about 400-500yds at any angle.

They will fail you miserably beyond 800 yards, and make you cry at 1000 or more.