Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting stick bipod poles versus heavy bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting stick bipod poles versus heavy bipod

BIG, that's what I did after all the typing, both times I lost it when I tried to return to this page. So I got it to work this way. What the heck, I just wanted to give this fellow another side to look at. This is one of those items that work so well that I hate to not pass it on! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Pop several windows. Learn to use right click on hyperlinks "Open in new window" - Lern 2 use the "Alt Tab" combo to toggle between windows.
Good programers r lazy.
Even my laptop sports dual monitors when I travel - my dev machine has a minimum of 3 monitors.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Pop several windows. Learn to use right click on hyperlinks "Open in new window" - Lern 2 use the "Alt Tab" combo to toggle between windows.
Good programers r lazy.
Even my laptop sports dual monitors when I travel - my dev machine has a minimum of 3 monitors.

[/ QUOTE ] You would think after 25 years of computer use that I would know that. What? I say, I did know that? No there is something else going on with this program. But thank you for the help. I built this machine with a raid card and run dual hard drives to guard against any drive crash. I run a lot of Cad,Cam on this machine and should not use it for surfing. However is a comfortable machine to use so it gets the work on the net. My lap tops see control time for machine work and I guess I should just have one app for the net and leave the rest to do what they where built or modified to do. Oh, thank you for the suggestions most kind of you! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

This obscure message from lockstock.com:
Would you like us to send the the 3 piece leg model one or would you like this order canceled?

*this* being Stoney Point Products PoleCat Hike N Hunt Combo
Old 04-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

I use the Stoney Point regular 39" sticks since I hunt alot of hilly country with cover not flat & too tall for prone. I really like the shorter type sticks and don't see a change in impact like with the Harris bipod. Quick to deploy and very functional. Sit against a tree with the stick downhill and you are rock steady. You also can check out the Christensen Arms site. They carry a swivel type bipod that slips onto an adaptor on your rifle that lets you set heighth and fully swivels. Think that they are called snip pod. Seen them used on Eastmans TV show. Costly, but looks good. Just wish I could handle a pair for a few minutes. Good luck.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

I've had the same opinion of bipods; they work great but are cumbersome on a serious walking rifle. Last winter I made a U-shaped bracket out of carbon fiber (I'm a boat builder and work with composites of all kinds) and put a 1/4-20 stud on the bottom. I screw it into the tripod for my spotting scope, which lives in my daypack at all times, and use it for a rest.

I tried it out on a sage rat hunt a couple of weeks ago and it works fine; I had as many hits as I usually do with a "real" rest, and it adds about 2 oz to my pack.

A heavier and more fragile (but probably just fine) substitute could be made with a half-piece of 2" schedual 40 plastic pipe, with a 1/4-20 flat head machine screw, with the head countersunk into the top, and a nut torqued down from the bottom with an inch or so of the threaded part of the screw below that. Make sense? Throw it into your pack and thread it into your tripod.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Looking for a long bipod seems i always end up on a hill 24" is not enough. Need some dirrection before i waste a dime.

kurt