Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting stick bipod poles versus heavy bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 07:46 AM

Shooting stick bipod poles versus heavy bipod

Has anyone had experience with both the harris type bipod versus the "shooting stick aluminum pole bipods? I have a Harris bipod, but I don't like it as it is heavy and puts much weight on the forward part of my rifle. Has anyone used both in hunting situations and can advise me of your opinions as to how each does in comparison to the other? Thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting stick bipod poles versus heavy bipod

I use both, depending on the terrain and vegatation. If I am going to be on flat terrain with short vegatation I prefer the bipod and shooting prone. I use them on a bull barelled rifle so I don't notice the weight. If I am going to be in rougher terrain or have taller vegatation where I will be shooting from a sitting or kneeling position I use the sticks.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:00 AM
SPONSOR

You can make your own sticks with a couple of heavy dowel rods and some nylon rope. When done correctly they work great. The rope can slide up and down the rods to adjust the height. This works much better that simply spreading the legs out. The end result is you can have a set of sticks tall enough to shoot off of kneeling that you can also adjust wwwwaaaaayyyyy low and shoot prone if you need to. Total cost will be less that $5 too.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Everyone will have his personal favorite. Best is to use both, there are times when the Harris is the optimum, such as hunting in wide open habitat where prone is a viable shooting position and sticks when habitat is likely to demand sitting or kneeling shots. I use sticks but prefer the new tripod model with three legs, lets you take your hand off the sticks altogether. Sold by Stoney Point and they are very steady, light, easy to carry.
I have also begun carrying two rests, one for the butt. Either a beenie bag or a second set of sticks
Old 04-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

I really like my Harris bipods but I would like to get more (so I don't have to move bipod to other guns). My Caldwell Lead Sled is exceptionaly well built - the Calwell Bipods are much cheaper than the Harris. Are they nearly as good?

Caldwell
Old 04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Lock stock & barrel I do hope this works this time, I have spent over an hour typing and lost it twice giving you this link. This is the smartest thing I've ever seen or used for hunting, glassing, taking pics or shooting from! It is in my not so humble opinion the best thing since sliced bread! If we where shooting buddies, I would give you my HEAVEY, UNGAINLY Harris POS. You got to love a mono-pod it truly will become your "rod of staff and comfort". I would be willing to bet that this was really "MAN's FIRST TOOL"! Don't leave home to do anything outdoors that needs walking or climbing without it.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Thax - one of the advantages of being dyslexic (like GW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) is that it's impossible for me to type strings like that - so you are forced to use the computer for mundane tasks. I tell people I don't write computer programs for a living, I just copy, paste & edit. Next time pop a few windows and copy/paste.