Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

shooting a running deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: shooting a running deer

Funny thing about this whole arse chewing I'm getting....he didnt press or attempt to press charges....wonder why? He called my partner after he got home and apologized. I called him and did the same. He said he was just so focused on the deer that he never even heard me and that he knew he had burned his tag and was wrong for wanting to keep hunting.
I told him I was sorry for popping him but I didnt know how else to stop him. He said he didnt know either.
A lot of this is you had to be there. It was just a bad deal the guy scared me.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke75 View Post
Hi,

I am new to Long Range Hunting and this is my first post.
My question:
Does anyone have experience with success in shooting running deer ?
I have heard many different ways to shoot a running deer, the problem is
they all conflict with one another.

The last thing I want to do is wound a deer, so I have restrained from
shooting running deer.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you,
duke
Shooting anything on the move with a rifle takes a great deal of skill and practice way above and beyond normal marksmanship and undestandings of wind, trajectories etc.

Running shots are very low percentage and high risk shots and unfortunately there aren't a lot of ranges that are set up with moving targets for you to practice on.

My suggestion would be to start coyote hunting and when you have good confidence in your ability to put them down on the move you'll be ready to start thinking about shooting at running dear.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke75 View Post
"I have a 100% guaranteed way to NEVER MISS A RUNNING SHOT!!!!!

Don't pull the trigger. Simple isn't it?

Ask yourself a few questions. Why am I always seeing running deer? Why wouldnt I just try to stop them instead of a hail mary wounding shot?

If you are seeing deer running often there is something wrong with your hunting not your shooting. Figure that out first. Then learn to stop them. I use a nasal kinda fawn sound or a whistle or hell a yell if needed. Its better to try to stop them and fail than just start blasting.

That being said the best running practice is a coyote. If not I have seen pulleys rigged to vehicles and other means for movers. MMost g uys who are good wingshots can shoot running. Back in the day I shot a lotta jackrabbits also which I got pretty good at. Luckily the experience required to get good at running shots will teach you they arent worth taking much past 100yds or at unwounded game."

LET'S SET THIS RECORD STRAIGHT:

First off, I have hunted all my life and lost one nice buck and it still haunts me.

Second. I hunt BUCKS only and I shoot only when I'm sure it is a CLEAN KILL
I NEVER BLAST AWAY.

Third. I don't see many running bucks, but would like to be able to
make a clean kill if i decided to shoot, which I have refrained from doing.

I am a hunter not a killer. I or my companions will not tolerate a killer in or midst
The termination of any animal that can feel pain deserves the greatest respect
nothing less will do.

LAST: I have hunted all over North America and have harvested many trophy
class bucks and I TAKE OFFENSE TO YOU COMMENTS SIR.

duke
Annie Oakley couldn't guarantee a clean kill on a running deer.

Someone who hasn't spent thousands of rounds practicing on moving targets has about a 1/500 chance of even grazing a running deer beyond 200 yds unless it just happens to be running straight at or away from you.

The worst part about shooting at running deer or larger sized game is that they are already jacked up on adrenaline and even though you make a "fatal shot" you very likely won't even know you hit them and as such, most that you do hit will be lost unless it's on incredibly open terrain.

Low percentage and high risk shots do not a good sportsman make so if you really want to get proficient at it, plan on putting thousands of rounds down range fired at moving targets over the next ten years or so to get there.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehulk View Post
I'll step back from our discussion to address your new question.

What would I do?

IF, I was a guide. It would be for a few reasons.

1. I know how to hunt,scout and plan for my area. As well as be able to protect the hunter from the elements and other hazards of hunting.
2. I know how to work with a wide variety of people because if my services are as a guide, I realize that I may encounter people from all walks of life. Therefore I would also be a great (or decent) judge of character.
3. I would also have a screening process, as Im sure you already do to weed out people with the wrong attitude. Because from my knowledge of being able to work with people I would realize that not every Tom, Dick or Harry with enough money to use my services would be mentally able to handle a hunt that could very well kill us both.

With that being said, I would of talked with this person as soon as he scheduled the hunt. By doing that, I would of realized (by your admittance) that he was not mentally fit. BUT, if he passed the pre-screen before the hunt. I would of addressed the disrespect as soon as he showed it. First a verbal warning and then if he did it again, the hunt would be called off. I would also include this in the fine print of the signed agreement.

Could be way off base, as I'm not a guide like yourself. That's my personal response without any of our differences involved. Just from the information I already have.
Hulk you hit the nail on the head. All guides that arent starving screen customers. Cant always tell what a guy will do with a kansas gagger in front of them. This guy was actually referred by a long term client. The guy just went blank on me. Then he was pissed so he pushed us on shooting another deer. Like you I am originally from oklahoma and sometimes when you see a deer 3x as big as anything youve ever seen you melt down.
This wasnt a need to scold a guy issue. This was quit shooting a 300 WM bar at a running deer that in another 60 seconds might be in a bad spot. It was a split second decision that I wish I had never had to make but the guy was just gone and when you add in the things that we had talked about before the hunt and during it I figured he was either nuts or didnt care. Shooting at any time other than when we say shoot is something that is ground into our hunters heads. Mainly so they dont shoot a dink but its something we talk about a lot. Ive had guys Ive had to talk off of shooting 20 different bucks at times. I even have bucks on leased ground that we cant shoot.
Having control of when a hunter pulls a trigger is a big issue. Usually when they do something they shouldnt you can talk about it. Bullets dont come back whether its from gutshooting a deer or a kid a mile away.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
There was a house about 20% off axis of deer. Not only was it a running shot that the guy couldnt make but he was swinging straight towards a guys farm house.I screamed at the guy dont shoot and he did it anyway. I knocked him out before he could keep rolling. I had no clue what he was going to do as he already demonstrated a lack of english comprehension.
I dont care why I told him to stop whether it was safety or ethics. I would do it again.
When someone calls clear it means stop shooting.
Amazes me that I'm catching a rash of grief. I didnt state in my 1st post the whole situation but it shouldnt matter WHY I CALLED A CEASE FIRE. CEASE FIRE MEANS CEASE FIRE. I always make it clear with a hunter what it means. The guy just didnt care it wasnt heat of the moment it was screw you, I paid you so I can do what I want. OK me too.
And dont worry Im booked up for quite a while. Amazing but all of my customers gave me an attaboy.
The story just keeps getting better, now he was shooting at a house Please. Last time I was in SW Ks. I didn't see any type of terrain that I would consider dangerous. Well I guess unless your name is Dorothy(or Toto) you should quit trying to rationalize your behavior it is really making you look sad.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

The adrenalin issue is absolutely right, one should expect to track deer more often when they are on the move, not necessarily dependent on where they were hit.
Having a trained dog at hand is especially helpful in such an occasion, although it's nice and very useful to have a trained hunting dog at any time.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
The story just keeps getting better, now he was shooting at a house Please. Last time I was in SW Ks. I didn't see any type of terrain that I would consider dangerous. Well I guess unless your name is Dorothy(or Toto) you should quit trying to rationalize your behavior it is really making you look sad.
There's lots of houses, cows, barns, tractors, pickups, horses, trailers, and a few people in SW KS.

Shooting even in the general direction of any of them is dangerous and can cost your guide a great lease or much more.

Not sure about KS law, but in some states the outfitter and guide can each be held liable in a civil action or even face criminal charges if you commit a game violation or gun crime while on a guided hunt.

Having been a guide and outfitter off and on for most of the last 30 years I can promise you, such things can and do occur.