Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

shooting a running deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: shooting a running deer

Good avise from Beng and Coyboy!
We used to break out the clay pigions before deer season. Just like anything else a little practice goes a long way. That and one of the local ranges held a running deer shoot before season every year, they had a plywood deer cutout they run back and forth on a cable=Great way to practice!
The one thing we learned early about shooting at running deer was to do a good job of following up after any shooting. Dont asume you missed or hit=check and double check every time! Most crumble when hit but if shot in the boiler room they can go a ways without much sigh of being hit.
Never liked to start shooting at a running deer but once I started the gun was emty or it became unsafe to continue before I stopped and all where inside of 100 yards and closer to 50 yards.
We tryed the rolling tires thing but it gets to be a lot of work rolling the tires back up the hill That and to be safe its hard to find a spot where the guys rolling the tires are out te line of fire at ALL times......We had one spot with a berm that totaly protected the rollers.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Guess we are just real lucky out here Todd. Or maybe the guiding business here are all run wrong. But I have never seen or heard of any client getting so far out of hand that a stern private talking to, (explaining the dangers or policies) didn't cure the problem. Or at worst send them home if they have an attitude. As taught in my NRA instructor course, attitude and firearms do not mix. Separate them! I can't imaging the attitude that forceful contact between a "guide" and client could generate. Think I will stay away from that one.

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, apparently Oklahoman's like myself are of the rowdy sort. We don't know how to act..... If I get out of hand or try to make a shot you dont want me to shoot, just sock me in the back of my head. Thats fixes everything, I'll chalk it up to "lessons learned."
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
You are relying on that person to keep you alive and your gonna beat his ass?
You are so full of yourself that it is laughable. It seems to me that it is the client that keeps YOU AND YOUR BUISNESS alive!!

The only " guide" that I would depend on for keeping me alive would be one in Afganistan!!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I second the poster who wants to know the name of your "guide" business so no one wastes their hard earned money on your crappy attitude!

I'm just as big a steward of wildlife and conservation as there could be, but would never consider punching someone (ESP. A sucker punch) for a decision they made in error in the heat of the moment.

I bet your the kind of know it all D-bag who bristles at any response other than yessir! Remember, most people save for a long time to have an opportunity to hunt a new animal in different country. I could only imagine realizing I had spent it with someone like yourself.
There was a house about 20% off axis of deer. Not only was it a running shot that the guy couldnt make but he was swinging straight towards a guys farm house.I screamed at the guy dont shoot and he did it anyway. I knocked him out before he could keep rolling. I had no clue what he was going to do as he already demonstrated a lack of english comprehension.
I dont care why I told him to stop whether it was safety or ethics. I would do it again.
When someone calls clear it means stop shooting.
Amazes me that I'm catching a rash of grief. I didnt state in my 1st post the whole situation but it shouldnt matter WHY I CALLED A CEASE FIRE. CEASE FIRE MEANS CEASE FIRE. I always make it clear with a hunter what it means. The guy just didnt care it wasnt heat of the moment it was screw you, I paid you so I can do what I want. OK me too.
And dont worry Im booked up for quite a while. Amazing but all of my customers gave me an attaboy.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
You are so full of yourself that it is laughable. It seems to me that it is the client that keeps YOU AND YOUR BUISNESS alive!!

The only " guide" that I would depend on for keeping me alive would be one in Afganistan!!
Guides werent originally to put you on a 190" whitetail. They were to "GUIDE" you through wilderness that can take your life. From rattlesnakes to an underinflated tire we keep clients from being dead. That my friend is 1st and foremost. Second is keeping all of us alive. When a person will not cease fire and you are close enough to sock them...well its your choice.
And some customers we dont want back and never would have let come if we knew what they were like. Its just part of the business. A bad customer will put you out of business much faster than no customers.
Sorry to all I will quit posting reality and go to the customer can do anything he wants including accidentally shooting me or a cow or whatever. Is that better?
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
There was a house about 20% off axis of deer. Not only was it a running shot that the guy couldnt make but he was swinging straight towards a guys farm house.I screamed at the guy dont shoot and he did it anyway. I knocked him out before he could keep rolling. I had no clue what he was going to do as he already demonstrated a lack of english comprehension.
I dont care why I told him to stop whether it was safety or ethics. I would do it again.
When someone calls clear it means stop shooting.
Amazes me that I'm catching a rash of grief. I didnt state in my 1st post the whole situation but it shouldnt matter WHY I CALLED A CEASE FIRE. CEASE FIRE MEANS CEASE FIRE. I always make it clear with a hunter what it means. The guy just didnt care it wasnt heat of the moment it was screw you, I paid you so I can do what I want. OK me too.
And dont worry Im booked up for quite a while. Amazing but all of my customers gave me an attaboy.

Assaults can be felonies or misdemeanors. The penalties for assault vary and are dependent upon several factors:

The severity and nature of the assault
The presence of mitigating circumstances
Prior convictions
Age of the victim
If the victim was providing lawful medical or therapeutic treatment
If the victim was a police officer

Penalties may include:

Jail time
Severe fines
Probation
Anger management classes
Loss of right to possess firearms
Loss of voting rights

Glad your clients gave you ataboys for breaking the law. I fail to see where you should be rewarded for such behavior, and your display of audacity by stating you would repeat the offense.

A few fries short of a happy meal.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Guides werent originally to put you on a 190" whitetail. They were to "GUIDE" you through wilderness that can take your life. From rattlesnakes to an underinflated tire we keep clients from being dead. That my friend is 1st and foremost. Second is keeping all of us alive. When a person will not cease fire and you are close enough to sock them...well its your choice.
And some customers we dont want back and never would have let come if we knew what they were like. Its just part of the business. A bad customer will put you out of business much faster than no customers.
Sorry to all I will quit posting reality and go to the customer can do anything he wants including accidentally shooting me or a cow or whatever. Is that better?
So...exactly...what part of "knocked him out" is the Keep him alive part??

Also.....THE FASTEST way to get put out of buisness is FELONY ASSULT!!! Try work with or around firarms with a felony conviction under your belt!! Kinda tough to get that old guide license!!
The thread is closed