Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

shooting a running deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: shooting a running deer

My first deer was on a 8point who was running full sprint away, took the shot at about 100 yards. He did a front flip and expired. Right behind the shoulder. Probably more luck than anything.

AR15 .223 w/ 3X9 Nikon

If I paid to hunt and took a shot at running game animal and my guide punched me, he would get the beating of his life.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
I would be hesitant with the tire thing, just because I was taught that nobody is to be infront of your muzzle, even if its 50 yards off. I have often tried to think something up using a steel wire and a cable dolly, but for the amount of work it would be I cant justify it.

If I was you i would set up a paper plate or gong at 50 yards on a stick about 2" off the ground. with a rimfire (cheapest), start swinging on to the target and dont stop through the shot. when you can put most of them in the center"ish" of the plate get an old ball (basket ball size) and build a pendulum style target. shoot the swinging ball in the same fashion.
Thinking up these kind of games is the best type of practice that I know of. I still dont recomend shooting game on the run unless you need to. I do understand that not all terrain allows for good set ups and running shots might be your only way to get a good one.

a rimfire and a buch of games like this can really make you an excellent shot.
Thank you for your advice, However, to set straight the rolling of tires.
The one rolling is to the side of the shooter , further away from danger
of the muzzle then the shooter himself.

duke
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

It is possible and as long as you are capable of killing the deer, ethical too.
We have lots of driven hunts in Germany every year, it is one of the best ways to kill boars that infested a corn field.
Use a red dot sight or a very low magnification scope, get practice at moving targets, we have moving boar targets at any shooting range for hunters (I will post a video when Im back at my pc, blasted mobile) and limit your shots to reasonable range ~60-70yards.
Don't use a pea shooter either, .308 upwards.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehulk View Post
My first deer was on a 8point who was running full sprint away, took the shot at about 100 yards. He did a front flip and expired. Right behind the shoulder. Probably more luck than anything.

AR15 .223 w/ 3X9 Nikon

If I paid to hunt and took a shot at running game animal and my guide punched me, he would get the beating of his life.
Funny youre from the same state of the dude who got knocked out. I did sucker punch his ass tho. I had already had the no running shots talk with him as I do every client. When you hunt with a guide you dont OWN him. If you do something stupid its no different than if you were just two guys hunting. Take that attitude on your first guided hunt and it wont be any fun. Remember you are hunting with a guy who probably has 2-3 spots picked out to bury you if he had to or tell his brother the sheriff about your hunting accident. Guides arent slaves or your personal tote boys and you are paying them for a reason. EXPERTISE. Dont mess with an expert on his home ground, you might beat your guides ass to suddenly meet his whole family when you are a 1000 miles from home. Have fun with that one.
And no I dont normally punch customers but I was yelling in his ear "DONT SHOOT" then blam, splat and a hunched up deer at 400 running in 4ft tall grass at dark. He got punched.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 PM

I'm new here but I'll weigh in. I have done it but it has always been less then 100 yrds. If you do it dont expect them to act the same when hit as when they are stationary. They are already on the move and full of adrenalin. I have had one take three shots in the chest before she stopped running. Unless you break the shoulder or spine them, they will not act as though they are hit. If well hit they will go down in a short distance but expect to do some tracking due to the fact they are already running. They will cover some distance before they leave a blood trail. The best advice I can give you if you do take a running shot is do not stop shooting till it hits the ground or you can not see them.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
Funny youre from the same state of the dude who got knocked out. I did sucker punch his ass tho. I had already had the no running shots talk with him as I do every client. When you hunt with a guide you dont OWN him. If you do something stupid its no different than if you were just two guys hunting. Take that attitude on your first guided hunt and it wont be any fun. Remember you are hunting with a guy who probably has 2-3 spots picked out to bury you if he had to or tell his brother the sheriff about your hunting accident. Guides arent slaves or your personal tote boys and you are paying them for a reason. EXPERTISE. Dont mess with an expert on his home ground, you might beat your guides ass to suddenly meet his whole family when you are a 1000 miles from home. Have fun with that one.
And no I dont normally punch customers but I was yelling in his ear "DONT SHOOT" then blam, splat and a hunched up deer at 400 running in 4ft tall grass at dark. He got punched.
Oh Man!! Todd aren't you laying it on a little thick here? Come on, I have never heard of a guide punching a client before. Clients make mistakes and do things wrong. It is expected. A good guide watches for it. The client does it from lack of experience and the adrenaline rush of being in an unfamiliar, exciting situation. They hire a guide because they need help and lack experience. Mistakes are expected. But punching them and now insinuating they could be buried in the field or have to fight the whole family????? Dude you drank too many Monsters today.

Jeff
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
Todd could you tell me the name of your guide service please I want to make sure I nor any of my associates NEVER book a hunt with you. I am being serious as hell to threaten to bury someone verges on stupidity especially on a public forum.

The thread is closed