Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

shooting right handed guns left handed??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

shooting right handed guns left handed??

I've grown up shooting right handed guns left handed. With my last gun I built I shot from the bench right handed, I shot great groups but ran into a problem this fall during hunting, I had a hard time finding the game in my scope naturally and ended up not being able to get on one buck quick enough and he ended up walking into the trees.
I hunted two different states this year and ended up making both kills shooting my gun
Left handed.

I have noticed left handed stocks that will fit a right handed bolt and really like the idea, I was just wondering if I would run into any unknown issues down the road if I choose to go this route?
Any help would be great thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: shooting right handed guns left handed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgerm View Post
I've grown up shooting right handed guns left handed. With my last gun I built I shot from the bench right handed, I shot great groups but ran into a problem this fall during hunting, I had a hard time finding the game in my scope naturally and ended up not being able to get on one buck quick enough and he ended up walking into the trees.
I hunted two different states this year and ended up making both kills shooting my gun
Left handed.

I have noticed left handed stocks that will fit a right handed bolt and really like the idea, I was just wondering if I would run into any unknown issues down the road if I choose to go this route?
Any help would be great thanks

I have built several right handed bolt rifles for left handed shooters that worked very well.

What you want to find is a "Classic style stock with no cast and no cheek piece" This makes the stock ambidextrous And other than the right hand bolt everything else is the same.

I shoot left or right handed and like these stocks when I am out of position for a right hand shot I can switch to a left handed position with little or no effort to make the shot.

In the specialty pistols, it is common practice to use a left handed action/stock while shooting right handed.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would make much of a difference because I have shot friends rifles and still hit zero. The only problems I could think of was possibly canting the rifle when switching shoulders but my bubble level should be a quick fix to that..

Im guessing mcmillan and other big stock companies all make thier own style of good quality lomg ramge stocks in the "classic" Style?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

This is crazy coincidence! I was just telling my parents who I had dinner with tonight about this very thing! My mom is left handed my dad is right handed...I'm right handed too with the exception of shooting a rifle. I grew up shooting right handed rifles with my left. I've never owned a left handed gun...at this point in life it would probably feel out of place behind a left handed rifle! Lol good to know I'm not alone in this!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot both right and left handed rifles left hande4d save for the occasional time at the range when there aren't any left hand benches set up or someone has a rifle set up right handed on the bags and wants me to give it a whirl. If I had enough $$ all my righties would be down the road save for a couple for my boys.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM

I too shoot left hand right handed guns. I've also grown up doing this and my career is based on being able to utilize right handed rigs left handed. I train for both left and right handed shooting and have built right handed guns to utilize left handed. The only problem I see is if you use a left handed stock with right handed rifle bolt. On most stocks there is a bolt handle notch that would be a problem. Not a huge problem if your a DIY or like you've stated if you find stocks specifically made for that. I don't see any other issues.

Last edited by jmckaig; 10-27-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: More text
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Wheatgerm, my friend bought a model 70 in .338 win. stuffed into a stock of another maker. He shoots left handed and I noticed on Boyd's Stocks' web site a left handed thumbhole stock for a right handed actions. My friend is retired and can't spend a lot of money so the $114 delivered thumbhole was the ticket. I bedded the action and took the 9 lb trigger to 2.5. He purchased a nice scope and I loaded some Nosler Partition test loads. He shot .680 with the best load. He says he hunts off a tripod and can chamber a round faster with the righty action. He has always shot right hand actions. Just my .02 cents.