Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
No I dont have a level yet. u can see my set up with the pics that i've added.

Broz, I understand what you are saying and I will do it your way next time out .

The pic is of the 600 yard target any ideah on what caused the vertical shot pattern ?

I was not allowing for wind it was farely calm . I was really after the Elevation .

Thanks guys for your interest !
Just about anything could cause the stringing including the mirage coming off of the corn.

Shooting off of the hood could jut as easily be responsible since you can't really lean in and drive the rifle without also moving the truck.

You also get some swirling winds above a corn field that you will not feel from the hill above it due to the flow of water vapor out of the ground through the corn and into the air.

Also your shooting station was pretty well protected from any wind that might have been swirling around the corn field due to the tree row so you would not have felt or even noticed a very slight wind between you and the target.

Nest time look at the tops of the stalks very carefully and see if you can detect any motion due to wind.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spokane Wa
Posts: 66
Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

bigbuck. I hope you were using the bunnyear bag and not the fluffy pillow. is your bunny ear bag soft or hard?? and do you remember were your cross hairs settled after the shot?? Calib don't try this in washington. you will be ticketed for having a loaded rifle in a motor vehical. I know this because I've talked with game inforcement officers who have writen tickets for this very same thing
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Just about anything could cause the stringing including the mirage coming off of the corn.

Shooting off of the hood could jut as easily be responsible since you can't really lean in and drive the rifle without also moving the truck.

You also get some swirling winds above a corn field that you will not feel from the hill above it due to the flow of water vapor out of the ground through the corn and into the air.

Also your shooting station was pretty well protected from any wind that might have been swirling around the corn field due to the tree row so you would not have felt or even noticed a very slight wind between you and the target.

Nest time look at the tops of the stalks very carefully and see if you can detect any motion due to wind.

The pic of the rifle and shooting position is of the 813 yard location .
I am a carpenter so I can build exactly what you guys are talking about

This location the mirage looked like it was flowing from left to right like a fast running creek . I dialed 1 MOA left windage at this spot.

You are right about the surrounding wind I held up the kestrel 3500 and turned it slowly in every direction and it didnt move at all, but when I looked through the scope the mirage told a different story....

I relocated the target before we left , it is set up at 1000 yards now. I will be ready next time . I have a bI-pod should I use sand bags under the rear of the stock ? while shooting in the truck bed ?
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1251 View Post
bigbuck. I hope you were using the bunnyear bag and not the fluffy pillow. is your bunny ear bag soft or hard?? and do you remember were your cross hairs settled after the shot?? Calib don't try this in washington. you will be ticketed for having a loaded rifle in a motor vehical. I know this because I've talked with game inforcement officers who have writen tickets for this very same thing
"bunnyear bag" ?

I was using a bulls bag . Filled with cat litter. ( kitty kitty's make good targets)

I never pay attention to where my cross hairs settle after the shot unles I have dirt to watch .
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
The pic of the rifle and shooting position is of the 813 yard location .
I am a carpenter so I can build exactly what you guys are talking about

This location the mirage looked like it was flowing from left to right like a fast running creek . I dialed 1 MOA left windage at this spot.

You are right about the surrounding wind I held up the kestrel 3500 and turned it slowly in every direction and it didnt move at all, but when I looked through the scope the mirage told a different story....

I relocated the target before we left , it is set up at 1000 yards now. I will be ready next time . I have a bI-pod should I use sand bags under the rear of the stock ? while shooting in the truck bed ?
Watch the tossles on the top of the stalks carefully. My bet is you see some swirl tha you cannot detect from your location. The convection causes water vapor to rise rapidly and thenit disperses very quickly to equal whatever the RH is in air. Think of thousands of little boat wakes just above the the corn. That's the water vapor exiting the stalks. The swirl above is that vapor dispersing above that level.

As for real bags. I'd use anything I could find to help improve steadiness be it bags, rear monopod or anything else I could utilize.

Remember to that at long range your trigger and breathing control or lack thereof can crate pretty large errors.

Len into it, relax and let it happen.

I go through kind of a mental relaxation exercise everytime I get ready to pull the trigger and basically other than leaning into the rifle I want my entire body limp when the round goes off.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,247
Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

Well you need to keep looking through your scope to see where you are after the shot. It's called follow through. If your crosshairs are way off target after your shot then you are holding the rifle incorrectly.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Watch the tossles on the top of the stalks carefully. My bet is you see some swirl tha you cannot detect from your location. The convection causes water vapor to rise rapidly and thenit disperses very quickly to equal whatever the RH is in air. Think of thousands of little boat wakes just above the the corn. That's the water vapor exiting the stalks. The swirl above is that vapor dispersing above that level.

As for real bags. I'd use anything I could find to help improve steadiness be it bags, rear monopod or anything else I could utilize.

Remember to that at long range your trigger and breathing control or lack thereof can crate pretty large errors.

Len into it, relax and let it happen.

I go through kind of a mental relaxation exercise everytime I get ready to pull the trigger and basically other than leaning into the rifle I want my entire body limp when the round goes off.
I usually take a deep breath just before I steady the cross hairs on the target relax and let it out while the cross hairs are were they need to be then I try to let it be a surprise when the gun goes off.
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
200 yard testing today ........SD results ?? bigbuck General Discussion 2 06-30-2012 09:22 PM
Did some powder temp sensitivity tests today, interesting results. Michael Eichele Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 8 12-15-2008 08:51 PM
Did some shooting today... remingtonman_25_06 Reloading 2 05-25-2007 12:27 PM
Did a little shooting today lerch Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 10 08-06-2006 12:36 PM
Yanked on the trigger today.. RESULTS Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 12 02-28-2005 09:33 AM

Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.96%
1,651 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.04%
612 Votes
Total Votes: 2,263
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC