Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
No I dont have a level yet. u can see my set up with the pics that i've added.

Broz, I understand what you are saying and I will do it your way next time out .

The pic is of the 600 yard target any ideah on what caused the vertical shot pattern ?

I was not allowing for wind it was farely calm . I was really after the Elevation .

Thanks guys for your interest !
Just about anything could cause the stringing including the mirage coming off of the corn.

Shooting off of the hood could jut as easily be responsible since you can't really lean in and drive the rifle without also moving the truck.

You also get some swirling winds above a corn field that you will not feel from the hill above it due to the flow of water vapor out of the ground through the corn and into the air.

Also your shooting station was pretty well protected from any wind that might have been swirling around the corn field due to the tree row so you would not have felt or even noticed a very slight wind between you and the target.

Nest time look at the tops of the stalks very carefully and see if you can detect any motion due to wind.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

bigbuck. I hope you were using the bunnyear bag and not the fluffy pillow. is your bunny ear bag soft or hard?? and do you remember were your cross hairs settled after the shot?? Calib don't try this in washington. you will be ticketed for having a loaded rifle in a motor vehical. I know this because I've talked with game inforcement officers who have writen tickets for this very same thing
Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Just about anything could cause the stringing including the mirage coming off of the corn.

Shooting off of the hood could jut as easily be responsible since you can't really lean in and drive the rifle without also moving the truck.

You also get some swirling winds above a corn field that you will not feel from the hill above it due to the flow of water vapor out of the ground through the corn and into the air.

Also your shooting station was pretty well protected from any wind that might have been swirling around the corn field due to the tree row so you would not have felt or even noticed a very slight wind between you and the target.

Nest time look at the tops of the stalks very carefully and see if you can detect any motion due to wind.

The pic of the rifle and shooting position is of the 813 yard location .
I am a carpenter so I can build exactly what you guys are talking about

This location the mirage looked like it was flowing from left to right like a fast running creek . I dialed 1 MOA left windage at this spot.

You are right about the surrounding wind I held up the kestrel 3500 and turned it slowly in every direction and it didnt move at all, but when I looked through the scope the mirage told a different story....

I relocated the target before we left , it is set up at 1000 yards now. I will be ready next time . I have a bI-pod should I use sand bags under the rear of the stock ? while shooting in the truck bed ?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1251 View Post
bigbuck. I hope you were using the bunnyear bag and not the fluffy pillow. is your bunny ear bag soft or hard?? and do you remember were your cross hairs settled after the shot?? Calib don't try this in washington. you will be ticketed for having a loaded rifle in a motor vehical. I know this because I've talked with game inforcement officers who have writen tickets for this very same thing
"bunnyear bag" ?

I was using a bulls bag . Filled with cat litter. ( kitty kitty's make good targets)

I never pay attention to where my cross hairs settle after the shot unles I have dirt to watch .
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
The pic of the rifle and shooting position is of the 813 yard location .
I am a carpenter so I can build exactly what you guys are talking about

This location the mirage looked like it was flowing from left to right like a fast running creek . I dialed 1 MOA left windage at this spot.

You are right about the surrounding wind I held up the kestrel 3500 and turned it slowly in every direction and it didnt move at all, but when I looked through the scope the mirage told a different story....

I relocated the target before we left , it is set up at 1000 yards now. I will be ready next time . I have a bI-pod should I use sand bags under the rear of the stock ? while shooting in the truck bed ?
Watch the tossles on the top of the stalks carefully. My bet is you see some swirl tha you cannot detect from your location. The convection causes water vapor to rise rapidly and thenit disperses very quickly to equal whatever the RH is in air. Think of thousands of little boat wakes just above the the corn. That's the water vapor exiting the stalks. The swirl above is that vapor dispersing above that level.

As for real bags. I'd use anything I could find to help improve steadiness be it bags, rear monopod or anything else I could utilize.

Remember to that at long range your trigger and breathing control or lack thereof can crate pretty large errors.

Len into it, relax and let it happen.

I go through kind of a mental relaxation exercise everytime I get ready to pull the trigger and basically other than leaning into the rifle I want my entire body limp when the round goes off.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Well you need to keep looking through your scope to see where you are after the shot. It's called follow through. If your crosshairs are way off target after your shot then you are holding the rifle incorrectly.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Watch the tossles on the top of the stalks carefully. My bet is you see some swirl tha you cannot detect from your location. The convection causes water vapor to rise rapidly and thenit disperses very quickly to equal whatever the RH is in air. Think of thousands of little boat wakes just above the the corn. That's the water vapor exiting the stalks. The swirl above is that vapor dispersing above that level.

As for real bags. I'd use anything I could find to help improve steadiness be it bags, rear monopod or anything else I could utilize.

Remember to that at long range your trigger and breathing control or lack thereof can crate pretty large errors.

Len into it, relax and let it happen.

I go through kind of a mental relaxation exercise everytime I get ready to pull the trigger and basically other than leaning into the rifle I want my entire body limp when the round goes off.
I usually take a deep breath just before I steady the cross hairs on the target relax and let it out while the cross hairs are were they need to be then I try to let it be a surprise when the gun goes off.