Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!

Well got up early this morning And headed out to the hunting club. We have several fields between 2 MTN'S . Problem is the farmers have planted field corn and its nearly 8 ft tall !. I made a target stand with a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood at the top making the total height 12 Ft 3'' . You guys are very lucky where you all live and shoot. Here in my neck of the woods its a Long Range Challenge just to find a place to practice, let alone hunt. Next challenge was to find some high ground for the truck .(yep we shoot right off the hood) only option at this time.

Here below is my honest results no fish stories in this thread

keep in mind it was extremely hot and shooting across corn has a wind advantage but the mirage was terrible! Looked like at times, a swift river.

If someone could direct me to the how to post pics info for this site I will try and post some . Thanks

600 Yards
Temp 71.2
R.H89.1
Baro Pressure 29.29
Elevation 589
Ballistics program called for 10. Moa up
To get spot on , I ended up with a total 9.3/4 MOA
Center to center of my 3 shot group was a huge 8 3/4 ''

Question it was vertical I havent had this kind of group pattern before .
Any Ideahs why ?

Next set up was 813 Yards
Temp 83.1
R.H 72.0
Baro pressure 29.25
Elevation 627
Ballistics program called for 17.25 up MOA
Actual dial was 15.3/4

Group measured 6 3/8'' center to center.

I read after folks and these groups seem rather large.
What do you guys think ? This is my first time to ever shoot a group at 813 yards...

Note the 813 group didnt print in a vertical line but was more of a triangular shape.

I will try to post some pics later .

Thanks for any help and or ideahs.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!-dsc02644.jpg   Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!-dsc02645.jpg  

Shooting results !!!!!! (Today) Pics added!!-dsc02646.jpg  

Last edited by bigbuck; 07-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting results !!!!!! (Today)

I understand the need for gettig up off the ground, but shooting across a truck hood in not a stable platform for these distances. Put a piece of 3/4 OSB or plywood in the back of the truck. Drop the tailgate and slide the plywood out the the end of the gate. Then go prone with a good bipod and solid sand bags on the rear.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I understand the need for gettig up off the ground, but shooting across a truck hood in not a stable platform for these distances. Put a piece of 3/4 OSB or plywood in the back of the truck. Drop the tailgate and slide the plywood out the the end of the gate. Then go prone with a good bipod and solid sand bags on the rear.
yep works pretty god, just try to keep the wind from hitting your truck on the side or you will be be moving.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Bronze Member

are you using a scope level? were you shooting with a bipod or another type of rest?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

To pick up on Broz's idea...

Take a full length sheet of 3/4 exterior plywood.

Rip it down to 36" wide.

On the bottom side build a frame out of 2x6's running the full length with one running down the middle. Cap them on the ends so that you have essentially a 2x6 picture frame with one slat splitting it down the middle.

Screw your plywood on.

On top place a piece of 2x4 flat on the end you intend to be the muzzle end. This will give you a good brace for your bipod so you can lean into it.

On the bottom side use a couple of 2x4's spaced evenly from the ends such that when you lay the shooting stand across the bed, they lock it in securely against the inside edges of the top rails of the bed.

You will still have to deal with wind rocking the truck if you do't have it parked nose into the wind but it's a hell of a lot better platform than leaning anst the truck trying to shoot across the hood.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1251 View Post
are you using a scope level? were you shooting with a bipod or another type of rest?
No I dont have a level yet. u can see my set up with the pics that i've added.

Broz, I understand what you are saying and I will do it your way next time out .

The pic is of the 600 yard target any ideah on what caused the vertical shot pattern ?

I was not allowing for wind it was farely calm . I was really after the Elevation .

Thanks guys for your interest !
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
The pic is of the 600 yard target any ideah on what caused the vertical shot pattern ?
My best guess is the hood was flexing under recoil

or the back of the stock was dropping durring recoil.

Or the mirage...

or D: all of the above

Jeff