Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting Rest to remove Human Error

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Shooting Rest to remove Human Error

I'm looking for a shooting rest to use while I work up new loads. I would like to use a rest that removes as much of my human error as possible during the load work up process.

I looked at the Hyskore DLX Precision (Here's a link: Cabela's: Hyskoreģ DLX Precision Rifle Rest

I liked the idea of this rest and the hydraulic trigger release, but I'm wondering if experience has shown this to be a bad product. Some of the reviews are positive and some are negative.

Has anyone here used this rest? What would you recommend?

I'm mostly a seasonal hunter and got into reloading a few years back, but haven't had much time to dial in my loads for my 30-06 until this last month. I've gone through a box of berger VLD's only to convince myself that I need a rest that won't be affected by my human error, etc...

Thanks,

Rone
Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting Rest to remove Human Error

I donít personally care for any of the mechanical shooting aids. I understand your dilemma not knowing if itís your shooting skills the rifle or the load that gives you the 3 inch group at a hundred yards but if the rifle is capable and your skills are capable then itís the load. Trigger time and a good smith makes that the case!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

In my opinion, the problem with these types of shooting rest's is getting back to the exact point of aim after each and every shot taken.

After every shot the gun, obviously, recoils and everything moves. I think you would drive yourself crazy spending ALOT of time resetting everything so your point of aim is in the exact place it was on the previous shot/s.

Again, this is just my opinion but I think you would be much better off spending your money on a good front rest.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM

thanks B23. However, wouldn't I have to do the same thing with a "Front Shooting" rest anyway? Or am I missing something that perhaps I don't do that I should be doing?

I guess, as I think about it...I don't really think any device can be made to return my gun back to a perfect zero...so hyskore's claims that the DLX can do that, is something I really don't agree with...however, I am willing to accept this going into it.

I plan on realigning my gun each shot anyway, so realigning the cross hairs is ok with me. I did like the idea of removing my human interferance at trigger pull...this is where I have problems and I think my load data is inaccurate because I'm not as good a shooter as I ought to be.

Now knowing this, is there a better route for me to take?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Do the research on how the BR folks do it. Not rocket science by any means but like any other process is only as good as the person executing it. I could type literally pages on what I do when setting up for a relay or shooting in the field using my table. When buying a rest and bags it is always better to cry once and get it over with depending on how serious you are about your accuracy.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

ronedog, yes you do but to me the difference is you don't have everything all strapped and cinched down like you would on the rest you are talking about.

Maybe I'm missing something but I would think you would almost have to leave it all strapped together then shot after shot realign everything, rest gun and all, back on your exact aim point to get any consistency. I think if you didn't keep it strapped/cinched up snug and tried to just realign the gun then restrap it the gun would obviously move while you were strapping it down and you would have to start all over.

This is just my opinion and as we all know they are like, well I'm sure you get the picture.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

My recommendation would be to get a 17HM2 and start shooting. Shoot at from 25 to 50 yards. Practice, practice, practice. Once you get where you can shoot the 17hm2 into 1 hole at 50 yards (or the best the gun will do) you can confidently shoot the 30-06 on load development.

The reason for the 17hm2 is it is more accurate than the inexpensive 22LR's shooting cheap ammo. If you have a quality 22 and get the shells it likes, you can do the same thing with the 22lr. The idea is to use it to refine your own skills so you are a better shot with the 30-06.