Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting Prone - Off hand on scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Shooting Prone - Off hand on scope?

Just curious, why can't you place your non-shooting hand "under the stock" squeezing your rear rest when needed?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Because I think the gun would go jumping into the air and I would end up with a nice scope ring around my eye. The few shots that I fired off of my bipod recently where I wasn't holding the stock down with much pressure proved that. I had a couple close calls to say the least
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

oooooh, I know that feeling too well. I was shooting a factory 700 in 300 RUM and the kick was a mule. After one year I gave up, just wasn't going to continue anymore with the abuse, not that I couldn't take it, it was just uncomfortable to practice with. I didn't notice the abuse shooting one shot at an animal but the practice was brutal. Decided to put a muzzle break on the gun and since needing the work upgraded to a match barrel and aluminum block stock. I don't have the mule kick any more and the gun precision increased to within 1/2 MOA.

I usually coach consistancy but in this case I swithched from a bipod to a leadsled for practice up until I made the custom conversion.....Huge difference in abuse factor and not much noticable difference in groups considering the gun initially shot 1 MOA at midrange anyway.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

My hunting partner has been putting his hand on top of scope for 25 years that I know of and it works well for him. I'm more free recoil with my left hand under the butt. Targets will tell if it works for you.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
My hunting partner has been putting his hand on top of scope for 25 years that I know of and it works well for him. I'm more free recoil with my left hand under the butt. Targets will tell if it works for you.
Plus one ! and will ad "long range targets"

Jeff
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Because I think the gun would go jumping into the air and I would end up with a nice scope ring around my eye. The few shots that I fired off of my bipod recently where I wasn't holding the stock down with much pressure proved that. I had a couple close calls to say the least
I shoot an unbraked 300 RUM Sendero and use my free hand on the rear bag. It jumps a little but no big deal. Your rifle will have to come rearward if it's going to clock you in the eye. As long as you have the butt firmly in the pocket you should be fine.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

fifty drivers comments about body angle with relation to the target are right on. position shooting requires the body be in the proper position/angle regardless of the position being used wether it be prone sitting or offhand.
there should be no muscle power exerted to have the gun alligned with the target. also consider that competetors use slings as an aid also.
shooting from a bipod is a somewhat different situation but still dosent
preclude good position.
muzzel jump with a bipod is a condition more controlable when using a normal prone position with a sling.
but there is also no doubt a bipod is a plus for less experienced shooters
and also a plus for hunting due to terrain conditions.
i personaly prefer a rabbit ear rear bag for a rear support when using a bipod.
i use my non trigger hand to fine tune the sight picture as i shoot by squeezing the bag. but then i always use a bench of some type even for hunting.
i wouldnt consider using any heavy recoil gun without a muzzel brake.
not only does it reduce recoil but even more important it reduces movement
following the shot. that allows for several things including seeing the hit
as well as not having to find the target again in the scope.
those few seconds could be very important in a hunting situation where a
follow up shot is required. 1 or 2 steps could put the animal behind some trees
where he is no longer visable to you during that period.
of coarse a spotter is very helpfull/ necessary in those situations.
we do make good use of bipods at our camp up to certain distances with
certain guns. but again, always from a bench.
on the longer shots where the heavy stuff is used we use yet another bench
with a return to battery ball bearing rest. those are usually locations in fairly close proximity to a vehicle.
call that whatever you like as you cant insult me. there aint no deer can run fast enough which ever way he wants to make us lose him. and when he stops were ready to shoot right now.
provided of coarse you dont need to screw around resetting your video or play with your program first.
send lead and let the spotter sort it out.