Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting position

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Shooting position

I was wondering what position you guys use the most often? For example, prone with Harris bipod and rear bag; sitting without bipod; braced on tree or stump; Off-hand, etc. Also, if you could describe what tricks you use for stability I think this could be a really good thread.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting position

LongRangeHunter

I use the a bipod (or daypack) for front support and a sand sock in the rear for nearly all shooting at any considerable distance or when extra accuracy is needed.

I position myself in direct line with the rifle, not off at an angle like the older method.

I only apply very little pressure on the buttplate to "load" the bipod. I'm careful to always place my shoulder on the same spot on the buttplate. I like a little more pressure on the top of the buttplate to keep recoil to the rear and downward rather than having the barrel rise.

I lightly grip the palmswell and my non-shooting hand is on the sandsock, I use very little cheek pressure.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Hey Dave, just can't imagine packing in additional weight such as a sandsock while deer, elk or bear hunting. Pack already weights around 40 lbs.. Lets see, saw,hatchet,spare ammo,extra socks, gallon of water,small first aid kit,spare compass,small survival kit,rain gear,game bags,gps,rope,outer wear clothing,spotting scope/tripod,binocs,ect. ect.. I hike in quite a ways and pack a 15 pound rifle. Not to mention I mostly hunt alone. Like hikers, I'm always trying to cut weight. I also pack shooting stix for kneeling or sitting. Some of the brush I travel through would make it very difficult for a bipod on my rifle. It seems no matter where I try to hunt I always end up in the biggest hole closed off with brush, only I don't seem to notice this till I look up! littletoes.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

littletoes

Put your game bags inside one of your spare socks and you have a "sand" sock. You've got enough stuff, it's just arranged incorrectly.

I carry a small bag on a duty belt, inside the bag (I call it "my purse", it really irks the guys I hunt with) I carry my ammo, LASER, MilDot Master, 550 cord, flashlight(s). I also have a pouch for my GPS and I clip my sand sock to a caribiner on the side opposite my heavier bag.

I carry "my purse" even when I carry a pack as it containes everything I need to shoot with, I can drop my pack and haul ass (slowly for me) whenever I need.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

If I had to haul ass right now I would have to make 2-3 trips. Definitely not down to my hunting weight right now. I keep some of the same things you do and usually a down jacket in my fanny pack. It works real well as a shooting aid. Rear bag with the bipod up front or as a front bag if the rifle doesn't have a bipod as I got into with a borrowed rifle in Alaska a couple of years back.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Dave

You crack me up, "purse".

Does anyone use a vest? I have been looking for a good vest for carrying most of my essential equipment, pretty much the same stuff that is in your purse dave (LOL). Seems like it would be much easier to balance, since it is closer to your center of gravity. I have been looking at Eagles Industries, they look great, but don't have the cash right now.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

longrangehunter didn't meen to turn this into a "gear" chat! But everybody has some good ideas to share! Hey Dave, liked the "sock" idea. Anyone use a external frame pack when elk hunting?