Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting mat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
SPONSOR

Shooting mat

I've decided that I need to invest in a good shooting mat.

The deal is, I don't really need all the features of the tactical mats. I don't plan on dragging this thing around in the field when hunting. I think I can tough it out for a shot or two. The only time I'll use it will be @ the range or @ various shooting competitions where I have to shoot prone.

Should I just make one myself of does someone offer something like I'm looking for??

Thanks,
B.J.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting mat

Been looking for the same thing/

Haven't had any luck.

I'm after a combination drag bag/shooting mat to transport the rig on the 2 man/2 wheel game cart to get to the LR shooting spots.

Looks like me and the local canvas shop will be working on a project one of these first days.

But, like you, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Check these sites for shooting mats. On some sites, you may need to click further to get to the mats.

http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/Kn...lsandMats.html

http://www.champchoice.com/shop.php?...amp;page_num=3

https://www.championshooters.com/index-ssl.html

Search you favorite engine for "shooting mat" too.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Couple of options

While Lerch is gone you should go over to his house and get the Hall Runner. If he doeesn't have one then just go into the living room and cut a 7 foot by three foot rectangle out of his carpet.

Second option is a closed cell foam sleeping bag pad. Thermarest makes one that accordion folds. Disadvantage is that sharp sticks etc will poke through it. Advantage is it is very light. Other thing is it doesn't get soggy like cloth. In case it is not obvius, I hate sitting or laying on wet ground (or cold for that matter). Here is one of mine on the backpack.

Here it is set up for a Potomac River elk [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

I have been using a yoga mat from Wal-Mart. Like has already been mentioned, it may not be as durable as a tactical drag mat, I can buy a lot of $6 yoga mats before I can buy a drag bag.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Need to check out
SNIPER HIDE
POST EXCHANGE
OPTICS ACCESSORIES FOR SALE

I just looked looked at 3different kinds.

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

As a coyote hunter, i am often out all day hunting them. When i'm calling i use a soft-sided closed cell foam stadium seat, that buckles in the middle, and allows me to sit comfortably while calling for 30 minutes if i need to (and provides excellent back support from a tall Harris bipod, as well). Nice thing about it is that if u unbuckle it, it becomes a cheap shooting mat, that's great for that application. U can buy these a KWal-mart for 5-10 bucks when they're on sale/clearanced. Find some extra foam to slip into the seat side if u wanna for extra sitting/laying comfort.