Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting from the hood of a truck using a bipod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM
PUBLISHER

You made me laugh!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: Shooting from the hood of a truck using a bipod?

The hood of my jeep has ripples in it from shooting the .22-250 off of it. I would NOT shoot off a hood of a "nice" vehicle.

As far as your misses... I duno man, Was it at an extreme angle up or down?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Earlier this year I shot my longest deer at 450 yards. I was shooting from my truck as well since it was the only option in the scenario I was in. My truck sits too high to shoot from the hood, so what I did was climb into the back of the truck and put the rifle on the top. This allowed me to setup the bipod and I could still get very comfortable and steady behind the rifle while standing in the bed of the truck. I was surprised at how steady I was, I would try doing that as an alternative to putting it on the hood of the truck.

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf18 View Post
so what I did was climb into the back of the truck and put the rifle on the top. This allowed me to setup the bipod and I could still get very comfortable and steady behind the rifle while standing in the bed of the truck. I was surprised at how steady I was, I would try doing that as an alternative to putting it on the hood of the truck.

This would be illegal taking of game in Montana. Your feet need to be on the ground. So check the rules in your state first.

Jeff
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
This would be illegal taking of game in Montana. Your feet need to be on the ground. So check the rules in your state first.

Jeff
Jeff-

That's good information, I didn't know that. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but does that mean you can't have a tree stand?

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf18 View Post
Jeff-

That's good information, I didn't know that. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but does that mean you can't have a tree stand?
No it was explained to me after I asked a local game warden. On this ranch I sometimes have a few older gentlemen I take out. They can not get far from the truck so I wanted to know the rules and asked. The officer stated that when shooting from a vehicle your feet need to be on the ground unless you are handicap approved. If not handicap approved with sticker on the windows you can use any part of the truck for a rest but your feet need to be on the ground. So you need to be out of the truck so to speak. As far as I know this only pertains to vehicles and a tree stand would be fine.

Jeff
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

If your dialing ranges you could be one rev of on the turret, not that I would know anything about doing that
I had something come up this year and that was getting into a position that I could not use my rear bag and since I don't practice anymore without it I was made painfully aware that something needs to be added to my shooting practice and that is shooting without a bag sometimes.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"