Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

shooting in the heat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

shooting in the heat?

I have been working on loads for my 257 stw, rifle likes the 100 bt and the 130 wildcat bcfb bullets. The thing is that from the heat I am having a heck of a time to get a good group from my heart beat showing up in the scope. Rifle is putting the bullet right where the crosshairs are located on the paper, just shooting in a t shirt for groups in this heat sucks. Temp is 98 or better, I may just have to wait till it cools down to work on the groups. I am getting .75 groups at 100 yards. Just that is the amount of movement that I am getting from my heartbeat. I have been shooting from a bipod and from a sight vise. I know I can get a better group when it cools down with a hunting jacket and all just wondering if there is something that I can do know that would limit my heart beat from showing up in the scope. Might just have to sand bag the rifle down just don't like to shoot from sand bags and hunt with a bipod. would sand bagging the rear of the rifle and having the bipod rest on the bipod limit the movement. I might have answered my own question. Thanks oldfamily.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: shooting in the heat?

Oldfamily,

Yep, you talked youself into the solution.....

Method one w/bipod: Elbows solidly placed on the ground abd pull straight back firmly w/the trigger handturns out to be fairly good.

Method two w/bipod: construct a beanie bag, from the beads/stuffing of beanie babies, (found @ craft/Wally World/K-Mart stores). Put this under the butt stock and squeeze with non-trigger hand for elevation adjustments.

Works much much better for me than method one or most other methods.

I hook my beanie bag to my belt loop w/caribiner(?) thus its always handy and its lighter than sand and doesn't swell like rice should it get wet.

A lot of people use an old sock. I chose a small stuff bag found in the area of camping equipment at Sportmans or some such place.

Good luck seems like you're on the proper path to a successful hunt.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Oldfamily ,

I'm pretty much in the same boat -i've given up on load developement due to the heat.
I thought about getting a lead sled type deal w/a little hydralic trigger puller.Lord knows i've got more stuff than i can move when i head west.
It's irritating to watch your heartbeat pound the X-hair around here in Florida.
Anyway load developement is a huge waste of time w/o a rock solid rest.
I'll wait until cooler weather myself.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

I live in SC and it is hot and humid. I built a "shooting shed" that is 12'X 12' and put a good fan in it and it sure helps cool me and the gun off. I was also able to build a super sturdy shooting bench that is tied into the shed. It works great and sure beats shooting in the sun.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

California A zone opens early August & runs till late September.
I do my load work in July & 90F-100F is required.
100F-110F is common in August.
I know "It's a dry heat". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I thought I was hanging out with a bunch of hardcore critter killers.
What heart beat? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

DK
Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe it's a combination of enthusiasm and heat deerkiller [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ,i hope i ain't getting soft.Maybe i'll start back . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Beats 100 degrees with wet heat, I am sad to say. What shooting I am doing now is EARLY in the morning, I tried shooting last Thursday Afternoon & my stick became a sweat pole.