Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear eye protection
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Do you wear eye protection

Shooting Glasses?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting Glasses?

I wear them religously at work and make my kids wear them when I take them shooting but for some unknown reason I don't when hunting or shooting. Do as I say not as I do type thing even when I know I should be wearing them. Took a 22 case to the eye a few months ago in front of my nephew who told me that it wouldn't of hurt if I had been wearing glasses like him. Couldn't really argue that one with him
Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

I'm another one that doesn't like to wear shooting glasses. I was forced by very bad vision to wear eye glasses from age 12 to age 52 and I hated the fact that my periferal vision was poor and keeping glasses truly clean is a PITA.

10 years ago I had lasik surgery twice before the doctor finally got it right and now I see better than I ever have in my life.

Even 10 years after the surgery I absolutely HATE wearing shooting glasses when I hunt and rarely do. I've NEVER found glasses that didn't scratch easily and offer protection when shooting. They never seem to be truly clean and when shooting I hate wearing eye protection.

BUT!!! Having spent thousands of days at rifle ranges and thousands more hunting I must say that shooting glasses have probably prevented me from serious eye injuries several times.

So do I wear them? You bet... But not when hunting unless I'm using a muzzleloader. Them dang things spit back too often. LOL

I wear shooting glasses at the range most of the time but when I'm trying to get that laser accurate view of the target to shoot a sub moa group I often slip them off if nobody is shooting beside me and if the rifle is a known safe one. Yeah I know.... Dangerous but it DOES help.

I special ordered some Costa's with polycarbonate lenses and they're amber and polarized and I like the camo frames. They're the best shooting glasses I've ever owned and I DO like them but I still can't wait to get them off unless the sunlight is just too much or the danger at the range too great to risk which is most of the time.

OH... And when I'm priming brass cases I ALWAYS wear them. Dangerous stuff and although I've primed well over a hundred thousand cases with not a single problem it still makes me NERVOUS...

Bob
Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

I always wear safety glasses while shooting. I have had lead shot rained on me a lot from poorly placed sporting clays stations. The only time I wear them hunting is upland bird hunting because I feel it can be the least safe.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

If i am shooting a bolt action i generally dont but if i am shooting any semi auto then i do because i find i get a lot of the gunk that is thrown out of the action in my face.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

I was suprised to see how old this thread was. But relevant nonetheless.

My profession would dictate that PPE is a necessity & should be worn at all times. Unfortunately, complacency bites everyone & I often do not wear glasses while shooting rifles. I ALWAYS have my Oakley sunglasses stuck to my face or on the brim of my hat but there is a slight problem.

The size of my glasses coupled with the contour of my face allows my glasses to slide down just far enough to serously interfere with my ability to look through a scope. So I take them off.

Pistols, no prob, glasses always. One of my AR's? No issues as they are usually shot standing etc. Rifles, I am still working on

t

Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

I wear them at the range and when just plinkin in the back yard.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

this is interesting, I was just thinking this morning that I need a good pair of shooting glasses I thought with all the reloading that I have been doing that you never know what might happen so if anybody can recommend a good pair it would be appreciated