Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting Extreme recoiling rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Shooting Extreme recoiling rifles

Does anyone have any tips for shooting an extreme recoiling rifle? I purchased a new gun and every time I get ready to shoot it. I close my eyes and flinch so bad because I know what's coming. I have only shot this rifle off of a bench. It's extremely accurate and a great long range shooter. The gun has an efficient muzzle break and I even have a suppressor for it. When I'm on the bench I try to hold the rifle tight in my shoulder. Lean forward into the rifle and pull the two stage trigger. Wow...... I get rocked and I'm an average guy 6 foot 1 195lbs. Any suggestions would be helpful...
Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 PM

Re: Shooting Extreme recoiling rifles

What caliber is this rifle ? Stock maker ? Stock design could have something to do with what you consider extreme recoil. The most important factor is if you can not shoot the rifle without flinching a different caliber might be in order.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Gold Member

Order you one of these in 50/90 and shoot it for ten years using 120 grs. black powder an 720 gr. cast bullets. You won't be worried anymore about flinching!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/9712206804/
Old 04-26-2014, 04:20 PM

Try breaking up your shooting sessions with some rimfire. You need to break the mental block that this is going to hurt. Also try a slip on pad with one of the strap on shoulder pads.
Limbsaver Protective Recoil Pad Shield Ambidextrous Black
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys..... I'm shooting an Accuracy International AX50. Rifle weighs 30lbs. Recoil is like nothing I've expirences before. I shoot trap 3 times a week. I shoot 22s twice a month. My main tactical rifle is a 300 Norma improved. The recoil is a long push the most I've shot with this gun is Ten shots in one session. If I keep shooting it will I eventually get used to it or will I start flinching on everything I shoot? How do you overcome flinching?
Old 04-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
How do you overcome flinching?

Have a friend place a few cartridges in the chamber (don't watch) As you fire them. Have the friend to sometimes put nothing in the chamber, but not tell you. When you pull the trigger you will not know if the gun will go off or not. You will learn a lot about how you flinch and can overcome it.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

What brake are you running, probably the best brake out right now is the Assassin, there is one specifically tuned for the 50.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"