Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooting Bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

Shooting Bench

Can anyone recommend a portable shooting bench that doesnt weigh too much but has plenty of stability?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting Bench

I use a BR Pivot. It's not so heavy that one guy can't move it in two pieces.

It's fairly stable, nothing like a concrete and steel bench is, but I'd need a tractor to move one of those.

I've done alot of shooting over the years by simply using the hood of a pickup (older style hoods were flatter and lower). I just built up a sandbag rest and leaned against the vehicle. Worked great as long as the wind wasn't blowing really hard. Shot some of my best groups ever over the hood of a 90 Dodge Ramcharger.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Thanks SBruce. The BR Pivot looks great.

I have been shooting over the hood, out of the bed and tailgate for years. But I have decided that I want a bench now to shoot prairie poodles. I normally sit for several hours in the same place but also there are areas where we are moving every 10 minutes it seems.

I have thought about the one that goes in the receiver hitch, but it is way too expensive for what it is, and it has to be removed to get things out of the truck since I have a camper top on my truck.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

I actually made one out of an old 4 foot foldable table. I unscrewed the legs, cut a bench rest top out of plywood with my jigsaw traced that pattern and cut another, glued and screwed the two together, bolted the folding legs from the table on my new bench rest top....the trick here is inserting wooden dowels in to the legs of one side to match the 2 x 4 riser on the bottom to offset the legs so it will fold up more compact. I can send you some pictures of you want. Mine is about three foot long, true ambidextrous, solid as a rock, not very heavy and the best part is that it was cheap. I have 0 in a donor table from an old school, 30ish in the plywood, a couple dollars in screws, ,and a little time invested.

I wish i could say this idea were mine but i think i stole it from an old article from varmint hunter magazine......absolutely brilliant
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

I use the D.O.A. bench from Len's store, solid and portable. Have used it in Pennsy on chucks out to 700 yds and here at home at a friends farm out to 1000 yds.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
I actually made one out of an old 4 foot foldable table. I unscrewed the legs, cut a bench rest top out of plywood with my jigsaw traced that pattern and cut another, glued and screwed the two together, bolted the folding legs from the table on my new bench rest top....the trick here is inserting wooden dowels in to the legs of one side to match the 2 x 4 riser on the bottom to offset the legs so it will fold up more compact. I can send you some pictures of you want. Mine is about three foot long, true ambidextrous, solid as a rock, not very heavy and the best part is that it was cheap. I have 0 in a donor table from an old school, 30ish in the plywood, a couple dollars in screws, ,and a little time invested.

I wish i could say this idea were mine but i think i stole it from an old article from varmint hunter magazine......absolutely brilliant
I'd like to see pictures.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbrass View Post
I'd like to see pictures.
x 2 please.

Rhino Hunter