Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shooters capability vs variation in rifle/load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooters capability vs variation in rifle/load

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo3006 View Post
Another variable to consider is your trigger. Almost all of my rifles have factory triggers that I have tuned as low and crisp as I can while still maintaining sufficient sear engagement. This usually results in +/- 3 lbs and fairly crisp. Much better than factory but still no where near as good as an aftermarket trigger at a crisp 1 lb or less. I know some of my group sizes are due to minor movement involved in the trigger squeeze. Darrel Holland wrote a nice little article that brought up some interesting thoughts, here is the link:Dwell Time And Your Trigger
Parallax is another enemy of precise shooting. For that reason, most of my rigs wear scopes with adjustable objectives. Just my 2 cents, probably worth about that!
Thanks for the input and for the link to Darrel Holland's article. I do still have the factory trigger in my STW and it has been adjusted just about as far as a factory trigger can be adjusted. I consider it to be a much better than average trigger, but have frequently considered swapping it out for a Jewell. After reading Darell's article I'm sure I have flinch issues; not severe as in problems that a noob would have but real subtle things like the blink. A lighter, crisper trigger would be a great improvement. Thanks for the suggestion.