Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

"Shooter" for Android Table Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: "Shooter" for Android Table Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheninge View Post
Yeah I read that too, but still don't think it answered my question (maybe I suck at phrasing the question). Should a scope with true MOA have this set on 1.0 or 1.047? Some scopes CLAIM 1/4 minute clicks, but the difference between shooter's MOA and True MOA is huge at long distances. My millet scope 4 clicks = 1 inch exactly at 100 yards. My nightforce seems to be 4 click = 1.047 at 100 yards (as a higher quality scope should be).

If shooter is using 1 to represent no correction factor, is this based on 1.0 or 1.047?
The factor is a factor! It has nothing to do with MOA's. It is a multiplication number that is used to correct the error in your scope turret adjustment.
If you scope is true then leave it at 1.0 .................. i.e 1 x 1.0 = 1

If your scope has some error in its turret adjustment then the factor needs to be a different number. Only you can determine what this number needs to be based on your observed turret movement over a known distance.
In your case the Nightforce scope would have a factor of 1.0 and the millet factor would be set at (maybe) 1.047. Better to check both scopes on a target set at 100 yards to confirm the turret adjustment. Don't just go by what the manufacturer says.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Now we are on the the same page! Stands to reason that no correction would mean 1.047 and 1.08 would be closer to iphy. Let me know if you find the link.. Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Topshot, it can be error and/or the the scopes design. That is part of the beauty of this system. You can customize it for every scope you own. But 1.0 can mean a lot of things depending on the design of the software. I always verify each scopes true click value in the field at 100 yards.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheninge View Post
Topshot, it can be error and/or the the scopes design. That is part of the beauty of this system. You can customize it for every scope you own. But 1.0 can mean a lot of things depending on the design of the software. I always verify each scopes true click value in the field at 100 yards.
No,
1.0 means only one thing. There is no correction.
If the scope is in MOA and your selected software output is in MOA then no correction is required. (so long as your turrets are accurate).

If you want to use a scope with iphy turrets then set your program output to iphy in the set up options. If your scope has true iphy adjustments then you will once again use 1.0 as your correction factor in the case.

Don't try and use two different systems and then try and "fix" a problem that doesn't exist with a correction factor. Just use the right options when you input the elevation and windage units for your particular scope in the firearm data section of the program.

The correction factor is for when the turret adjusment is not quite right as per its specifications.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
No,
1.0 means only one thing. There is no correction.
I think his question is from which baseline does he judge if there is any correction to be made.

If it is true that by selecting MOA or IPHY in the setup section also applies to the correction factor then he will be good to go. If it doesn't, which is unlikely, then his question is very appropriate because one wouldn't know from what baseline to start.

Scot E.