Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

"Shooter" for Android Table Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 08:12 PM
SPONSOR

Re: "Shooter" for Android Table Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
What do you think of the recent update to this program for wind input?
New page opens up with a arrow to indicate wind strength and direction.

I hate it. Ruined a good program.
This functionality is entirely optional. If you touch the words 'wind speed' or 'wind angle', it will pop-up with the circle and arrow. But if you don't want that, you can tap the numeric input and edit it the original way. If this doesn't work at first, try touching and holding the wind numbers, eventually the keypad will come up and let you enter numbers.
The thinking behind entering wind this way is that it makes it quicker (important since wind is a quickly changing variable), and the sacrifice in exact precision was accepted because realistically you won't know wind down to the mph or degree anyway.

Regarding the direction, I see your point on this. I'll give it some thought and maybe bring it up with the developer. Maybe it makes more sense for the wind arrow to originate at the edge of the circle and point inward? How would you think it makes best sense?

Also we'll discuss making it store the last input range & wind data regardless of where it was entered (HUD or input screen). I've been caught by this too and it is a little annoying.

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 12-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the advice, the program must have been updated again as I am sure my version would not do that yesterday.
Now it is much better.
This is the thing that I like about this program, the small bugs get sorted out with each update.
A better product results in the end.
With input form you Bryan, I am sure that we will have an excellent program to meet our needs.
Well done.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
Also we'll discuss making it store the last input range & wind data regardless of where it was entered (HUD or input screen). I've been caught by this too and it is a little annoying.

-Bryan
That would be great. I really like this program and we have used it to sack up game all season.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

On same note, not a big fan of the wind feature since it seems to be upside down.

However, on another note regarding the elevation correction feature, if I leave it at 1.0 (disabling this feature), does this mean the value used to calculate the dope is a true MOA (1.0471996 at 100 yards) or "shooters" MOA at this point?

i.e.
A scope with true MOA (nightforce) should have this feature set to 1.047?
A scope with "shooters" MOA (millet) should have this feature set to 1.0?

Awesome to have this feature. Love the program. Just need help with clarification. I have tested my scopes in the field to confirm their capability (36 moa is ~ 37.7 inches of correction) I just want to have the setting right.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

From the Android manual

Elevation Correction - This is used to correct for scope turret clicks that aren't quite what they say they are. If you've come to realize your .25MOA per-click scope is actually .23MOA per-click then you'd put a correction factor of 1.08695652 (.25/.23) because you actually need to adjust more as you aren't quite getting a full quarter MOA per click. So say your elevation solution for a 1000yd shot is 28MOA and you have the correction factor of 1.08695652. Shooter will multiply 28 by 1.08695652 to give you 30.4MOA. So even though the real solution is 28, you'd dial 30.4MOA because your scope only adjusts .23MOA rather than .25MOA per-click. An asterisk (*) will be placed next to the angular unit in the Solution and Trajectory Table screens when using these inputs to denote that the given value is corrected and not the actual calculated correction. Inaccurate click adjustments are more common than you may think. Don't take this for granted. To effectively disable this feature, leave the input set to 1.0

Scot E.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Yeah I read that too, but still don't think it answered my question (maybe I suck at phrasing the question). Should a scope with true MOA have this set on 1.0 or 1.047? Some scopes CLAIM 1/4 minute clicks, but the difference between shooter's MOA and True MOA is huge at long distances. My millet scope 4 clicks = 1 inch exactly at 100 yards. My nightforce seems to be 4 click = 1.047 at 100 yards (as a higher quality scope should be).

If shooter is using 1 to represent no correction factor, is this based on 1.0 or 1.047?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheninge View Post
Yeah I read that too, but still don't think it answered my question (maybe I suck at phrasing the question). Should a scope with true MOA have this set on 1.0 or 1.047? Some scopes CLAIM 1/4 minute clicks, but the difference between shooter's MOA and True MOA is huge at long distances. My millet scope 4 clicks = 1 inch exactly at 100 yards. My nightforce seems to be 4 click = 1.047 at 100 yards (as a higher quality scope should be).

If shooter is using 1 to represent no correction factor, is this based on 1.0 or 1.047?
I should have read your first post more closely. I understand what you are asking.

There was another thread on this here and I am almost positive someone verified it is true MOA but I can't find it. Also, as accurate and specific as this program is I would be highly surprised that the developer would use MOA if he meant IPHY especially since he mentions both MOA and IPHY in the manual.

If I find the thread I will post a link to it.

Scot E.