Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shoot better with bipod or tri-pod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shoot better with bipod or tri-pod?

They are made here in Pa......Give Phil Miller a call at (570)726-3030.He can hook you up.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Jay,
I think both are equal if you get in possition with the Harris so the rear support is solid enough to keep the sight picture TOTALLY STILL, otherwise the BR rests are better for this reason.

You'd have to consider a table to get that setup high enough in alot of situations though so, it's fairly impractical for prone.

The Harris with a bag under the butt like the one Jerry uses will keep the rear stable and offer a steady hold.

Idealy, a bipod front "and" rear would offer no horizontal or vertical movement and be much better than anything else in the rear. I use a bag like Jerry and a bipod up front for total control of elevation. Both elbows are firm on the ground out to the side to control horizontal movement, the backpack or bag and the bipod do the rest quite well.

I find the bipod fast to deploy, and offers total stability up front, that leaves only one end close to the shooter to deal with.

The reason the BR rests are used is the same reason I'd use one if toting around a table to shoot from too... a better return to battery setup than a bipod and bag for multiple shots IMHO. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Bronze Member

yes gentelmen I to want to know how much and where to get one of these tripods. yes sir now that is a hunting rest if I have ever seen one.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

yes gentelmen I to want to know how much and where to get one of these tripods. yes sir now that is a hunting rest if I have ever seen one.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:58 AM

I have also tried using hunting arrow shafts for the rear support with the Harris bipod on the front to get into a sitting position. This works ok out to about 700 yards, but sitting isnt' the best for me to be stable any further than this.

I have never tried the varmit bag that looks like an X from the front or rear. I though it was a good idea, but looked to heavy to carry out in the field. The same with the tripod idea, not very portable in the field. I guess it just depends on the hunting situation on what you can carry.

I agree with Brent that the bipod with the rear support and the elbows extended to the sides words very well. I use the non swivel bipod and it is relatively fast. I think the non swivel makes it more solid for longer shots. Sometimes there is a problem with the uneven ground in getting it level for the shot. Sometimes I also have alot of brush in the way and have to shoot sitting to clear it. Sometimes you just have to stay close to where you are on the mountain when you spot the game and make the best out of it.