Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shoot better with bipod or tri-pod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shoot better with bipod or tri-pod?

What type of tripod Jay?
Old 05-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Brent, How about a Sinclair Windage B/R Rest. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jay.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

OK, I got ya. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Didn't know if you meant that type, the surveyor tripod type or if they made a tripod type that "mounted" on like a Harris or something. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have noticed a difference for sure, but "only" if the barrel hadn't been freefloated... that's it. I wondered if recoil caused movement would be different enough to change the 100 yard zero but it's never proven to be true. It might be if you didn't have a support under the butt, when you normally do or something but, I always have mine supported there. If you use something real soft like a backpack then switch to a harris or harder front rest I believe you'd see a change as well. With a solid Harris and firm front bag there isn't any difference IMO.

I believe consistant pressure, torque with your grip, pull into your shoulder and follow through are most important though.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Shoot better with bipod or tri-pod?

I don't want to start a big debate here but has anyone ever noted any accuracy differences when going from a bipod to tri-pod or vice-versa? No fighting please. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jay
Old 05-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Writers Guild

A very stable set up was shown on the board not too long ago. It used a surveyors tripod - heavy duty, and a rifle rest/holder similar to the Outers varmint rest. It cradles both the front and rear giving very stable support. By locking the swivel head on the tripod, you could get close to bench stability. A very nice set up. There was even a picture.

Other designs use a front pedestal type bag mounted to the top of the tripod. The rear is unsupported except by the shooter. Still a pretty stable design. Quite common in tactical situations. Would have less bounce then the bipod. Also, shoot from a higher vantage point.

Not a fan of bipods as they wiggle and bounce too much for consistent long range accuracy. I would prefer to use a back pack, log or elbows.

My favorite quick rifle rest amounts to a big beanie bag. It cradles about 1/3 of the stock and is surprisingly stable. Good for truck hood shooting. There is a commercial varmint bag that is more elaborate and probably works better. Looks like an X in cross section filled with sand. Would be very stable and cradle the stock well.

Bipods are easy to carry, aren't too heavy but surprisingly slow to deploy in the field. The swivel model is much better then the non. Sorry, if it sounds like bipod bashing but after spending alot of money on a two Harris (excellent product for what it is), I am finding a $5 beanie bag more useful.

Jerry
Old 05-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Old 05-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Boyd, Now thats what I call a tri-pod! I should've been more specific when I asked the question. Shooting off a bench, like in benchrest type competition with a shooting rest like the Sinclair model I mentioned earlier vs. a Harris bipod, which, if any has the potential to keep your groups the smallest? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Nice rig, BTW, Boyd, What do you all have in that rig? Jay