Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

shepard scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Re: shepard scopes

The nice thing about the Shepard system is that there are so many stadia points that u could use for rangefinding/zeroing. U could use the system that's developed for it, but if u understand the mathematics behind it, it opens up a world of flexibility with the simplest of rangefinding reticles (the plex reticle) to the most complicated multi-stadia reticle.

There is only 1 problem with reticle-ranging game and that is the tgt. size variable in the equation is no longer a constant...BUT it is better than guessing.

Unread 11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

I really do not want to get into a uninating contest here. This post was about the Shepard scope, not sketching 200 square miles of Montana real estate. I get on my horse in the dark of morning and hunt where the elk are, savy? What ever kind of range finder you use is your business, I have a Leica 1200 yarder which I think sucks, the point is a Shepard scope is the nuts with a range finder..... just me three cents.
Unread 11-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

i dont think many would disagree with your opinion on owning a rangefinder. i certainly dont, i guess thats why i own several of them.

but HAPYCAPY was looking for an alternative to buying one.
part of the problem as i see it, is we all live and hunt in different parts of the country.
what will work well in the steep tree covered mountains of pa., wont work in many parts of the west.
what i described has worked well for us. its possible it could work for others also.
f.y.i. we did all the prep. work before season. i didnt tell that bear to wait till i shot at a rock.
there are no fences where i hunt, just steep hills.
deer rarly run off after shots are fired. so you see, thats different also.
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

A range card/sketch is a great way to have fast reference points. I make one for LR hides. Make it for points of interest, like where trails come into fields, certain trees or rocks your quarry may pass, etc. It doesn't have to be elaborate. I mark a spot, range it and figure in cosine, sketch it, and add on the adjustments for range/windage under it. Then you also have it for future reference. It doesn't take the place of a range finder, just faster for key spots.