Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sheep cartridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: Sheep cartridge?

midwesthunter,

If you don't have an outfitter picked yet, the outfitter I went with was great. His name is Mike McCann and he outfits in the Brooks Range 100 miles or so into the artic circle. One of the big pluses for his outfit is horses. It is one of the few horseback hunts available up there as it is so hard to get the horses, feed and such like into the hunting area. Your actual hunt will be done on foot, but when it is time to change drainages to new area it is sure nice to have a horse to ride and one to pack your camp gear.

I'm not sure what he is charging these days, I think it was about 10,500 when I went 5 or 6 years ago. He also does combo hunts of sheep and griz. I don't have his info handy, but let me know if you are interested and I will look up his phone, email, and web info.

On the rifle, I carried my 338RUM for mainly the reason Phorwath mentioned. I wanted some "horsepower" if we had a close encounter with a griz.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

I have not picked an outfitter yet so any suggestions are open. Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
I have not picked an outfitter yet so any suggestions are open. Thanks
The outfitter I was referring to..... website link: home email is mccannalaska@gmail.com

There are several guys that hang out here that are from Alaska and may have suggestions as well. I just know I was pleased with Mike's outfit and killed a nice 11 year old ram. I got a newsletter from him a month or so ago and he said he still had a couple of openings for this year (quite unusual but the outfitting business is tough right now) and has only two openings left for 2012. If you go, tell him you want George for your guide and tell him HI for me.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

One more thing...... If you check out Mike's website, look in the photo gallery. You will see a picture of a nice ram taken through a riflescope with the crosshairs on his shoulder.

I took that pic through my scope at about 450 yards. I had already killed my ram and we were wolf hunting when we spotted that ram. I just could not resist getting him in the crosshairs.