Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shawn's Long Range Video very informative

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn's Long Range Video very informative

Yesterday I received, and watched twice, Shawn's long range hunting video. It was great but a couple of things that were said brought up questions so I contacted Shawn and he explained it very well. I then went back through all of my previous correspondence with Gerald Perry at Exbal as well as with Kestrel.

Previously I had contacted Kestrel about my 3500 and was told that in order to read station pressure I needed to input the local elevation in the calibration screen for Barometric Pressure. This I have been doing.

I also talked to Mr. Perry about putting in elevation in Exbal and he told me, if I was using a Kestrel, to always leave the elevation at 0. This I have been doing.

Now......I watch Shawn's video and he sets his Kestrel BP calibration screen to 0 for elevation and puts in the actual elevation in Exbal. :confused: So.......I contacted Shawn and he explained it and why he did it.

I then got to thinking so I looked at Kestrel's web site and found the following data. The information with the manual you get with the meter is somewhat misleading.

In going over the email correspondence with Gerald Perry I now see that he said to always leave the elevation at zero because typically the Kestrel displays a corrected BP.

Don't know if this is of any help but, even though I've always been able to get first round hits using Exbal, I firmly believe that now I will be doing it with far better data.

Now I guess I'd better watch it a couple more times to see what else I've missed.

Last edited by ss7mm; 03-21-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Dick,

Good job!

Having neither a Kestrel or Exbal and from reading posts and the bit of confusion surrounding the baro at zero thing your explanation settles all concerns.

I can now move ahead with confidence.

I'm tired of making a purchase only to find when I get to deep nitty gritty of it that it doesn't do something that is vital. Thus it's goes to ebay.

Thanks

Roy
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Having neither a Kestrel or Exbal
I can't imagine living in the stone age like that. We're going to have to start calling you Fred Flintstone.

Yeah you can do it with just drop charts etc. and I agree that even with all of the modern conveniences we should all have valid field data in chart form with us at all times but........what do you do when you change altitude a lot, or you're hunting and a front comes through and BP changes etc. etc.???

You might as well be using BDC and hoping the weather and environment cooperate with you.

I guess we're going to have to drag you kicking and screaming into the 21st. century.;);) Do you use a watch or a sun dial? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Sponsor

Dick,

Glad to help, it was little issues like yours that prompted me to put the Exbal navigation section in the video.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dick,

I just stick my finger up my butt the hold it above my head.

The cold side tells me were the wind is coming from.

The dry side tells me where the sun is.

How far away from my feet the chips fall tells me the wind speed.

In the heat of the moment I get confused and use my trigger finger.

That's why my trigger pull stinks.

Thus I do miss a lot.

Come th think of it.....now I know why my turrets have that brown crusty stuff on 'em. Nothing normal cuts that stuff. I have found that just a little drano mixed with vinegar is pretty good. The smell is worse than GEMTEC though.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Man........I'm not even going there.;);)

Len would kick us all off for sure.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 PM
SPONSOR

Roy, man i just ain gonna comment

Just like Dick (SS7MM) said, the video is great. I got a copy just a little bit ago and i have watched through with great interest a couple of times. It really is a great video and done in a very straight forward, no BS, kinda way.

definantly one for the library

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST