Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Serious question about caliber and elk potential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Serious question about caliber and elk potential

Nonya,
Why so negative? Maybe the guy had, as the title suggested, a "Serious question about caliber and elk potential"...or he was just looking for a troll under the bridge. In either case I think he may have found what he was looking for. If you don't like his post then just don't read it, let alone respond to it. But then again you can say the same thing about my reply to you.

I guess that makes you a negative person(possibly a troll) and me a hypocrite.

Hypocrite is fine with me.

Unread 07-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

I have never had to trail a lung or heart shot elk, then again I have always shot a bullet that will open up in the cal. I'm shooting. The last elk I trailed was shot in the shoulder with a mag . I seriously think that some mag cal's do not open up properly on an elk unless you punch a bone like the shoulder, they just zip through them not causing the trauma need.

The past couple years I have shot a 300WBY so I have no problem with guys shooting mags it just bugs me when people act like you don't know how to kill elk if you don't have magnumitis. It bugs me probly about the same it bug some that I can kill elk without shooting the chosen calibur of the elk Gods.
Unread 07-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

Ive killed em with an arrow at 15 yards so i guess i dont need a mag do I?I have seen elk shot with a variety of calibers and any of them can not kill them on the spot even with a well placed shot,if you havnt seen it you havnt done much elk hunting.You dont have to have a mag but you damn well better pack something larger than a 25-06 if you want to shoot LONG RANGE,you know the whole basis of this website?
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Nonya I sincerely appologise for upsetting you. I also appologise for bringing up something that you say has been gone over so many times. I didnt know I had to get your approval before asking a question. Next time I will know and I will make sure to get your approval. If my posts were read than it would be clear that I have tried extremely hard not to have a bias and not to post judgement on anyone on this forum. Like I said this was a serious question and the major majority of the awesome people on this forum gave great answers and suggestions. I agree with almost all of them..

It was my understanding that this forum was here for people to post questions and answers to help out other fans of hunting and LRH imparticular..

Just so it is clear.. I am not posting judgement on people using magnum rifles. I in fact use one and am getting ready to buy another. I am a firm believer that you need to bring the right ball to the game if you wanna play.. Also as you must know there have been many threads on this forum describing what "LONG RANGE" really is.. To you it may be 3000 yards to others it might be 400yds or less. So your comment about the 25-06 is really mute.

Anyway thanks for your comments and the tone you brought to this post.. Looking forward to your response..
Peace out!
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylilcuss View Post
Nonya I sincerely appologise for upsetting you. I also appologise for bringing up something that you say has been gone over so many times. I didnt know I had to get your approval before asking a question. Next time I will know and I will make sure to get your approval. If my posts were read than it would be clear that I have tried extremely hard not to have a bias and not to post judgement on anyone on this forum. Like I said this was a serious question and the major majority of the awesome people on this forum gave great answers and suggestions. I agree with almost all of them..

It was my understanding that this forum was here for people to post questions and answers to help out other fans of hunting and LRH imparticular..

Just so it is clear.. I am not posting judgement on people using magnum rifles. I in fact use one and am getting ready to buy another. I am a firm believer that you need to bring the right ball to the game if you wanna play.. Also as you must know there have been many threads on this forum describing what "LONG RANGE" really is.. To you it may be 3000 yards to others it might be 400yds or less. So your comment about the 25-06 is really mute.

Anyway thanks for your comments and the tone you brought to this post.. Looking forward to your response..
Peace out!

+1 lilcuss, I agree with you on all accounts. Nonya, I respect most of what you say most of the time, but you really add a lot of negative vibe on these posts. With all do respect, please consider what you are saying and how you say it, before you say it. "Make sure your words are sweet incase you may have to eat them." This is on our church sign. I think it applies many times when we post.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Unread 07-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Nonya,
please be more respectful, I would appreciate it. If that makes me a unich so be it.
JM
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
Sorry to have offended your delicate,PC,feelings,I dont give a damn if my opinion doesnt match up with your "vibe",when did you guys get you balls cut off?Have you really let yourself become so spineless that someone speakin their opinion about a topic as stupid as this one can insult you?Good Lord!

Well obviously you are to much man for me. I guess I'll go crawl up in my bed and wait for life to pass me by because NONYA told me I'm spineless.... Oh wait, I answer to a higher power and "NONYA" business really matters to me. OOPS did I offend you? As far as respect for you and what you say and think about all things hunting, I've just lost it. You need to take a big slice of humble pie and rethink your intentions on how you reply and talk to other people. Your reply speaks volumes of your character and I can see it is severly out of touch with human values and ideals of an ethical relationship with those that share in your interest. I'm tired of reading all your little snappy come backs on simple questions. If you don't have anything constructive to bring to the table, then walk away and say nothing. I've tried to be nice and your bitter attitude and pride of "You always being oh so perfect" really bites. Think before you speak and then you can have better relationship with those on this site. Most of the arguments started on topics, are you spouting off telling everyone how inferior we are to you and all the elk you have killed. If you have been a long time member, so be it, but you wanted me to grow a spine, so here it is.

Good day,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!