Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Serious question about caliber and elk potential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Banned

Re: Serious question about caliber and elk potential

Why are these threads always started by someone shooting or recomending a caliber at elk that most of us consider not suitable?

Unread 07-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

I didn't think the O.P. was trying to recommend one caliber over another, I think what he was getting at is that sometimes people assume that a larger caliber will make up for a lack of skill. Before I get shelled for that statement I'm not saying that just because someone shoots a big magnum they have no skill and are just trying to compensate... not at all. It takes a lot of practice to be able to shoot the bigger mags at long range and I feel that everyone on this site knows and respects that. I think what the O.P. was getting at is that some people, especially those just starting out or people that are just plain recoil shy, might be better suited sticking to a smaller (still adequate though) chambering that they can shoot more consistently than forcing themselves out of their comfort level with a big magnum because Bob down at the gunshop tells them anything less will just bounce off. They just might have to limit themselves range wise. It's all about knowing the limits of yourself and your equipment.

I personally would rather hunt with the person who can put 5 shots into one hole with a .270 and waits for a clean hear lung shot than the guy who picks up the magnum of the year and one box of shells and thinks that a hit anywhere will make a kill. Again I'm not in any way attacking guys who use magnum calibers, heck I am one! But I didn't jump up to the .300 ultra mag untill I decided to get into long range hunting. The .270 never failed me but I just didn't feel comfortable past 400 with it.

I know quite a few guys who outfit and every one of them will say they've had more clients wound animals with magnums than with the good old .270's and .30-06's out there.

Again I'm not attacking everyone. If you can shoot it effectively and are reasonably sure of a humane kill then by all means use it, be it a 25-06 or a .375 Allen. Just know your limits.
Unread 07-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

And then reinforced by the guy shooting the 25-06,its like groundhog day,over,and over,and over.....
Unread 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

After seeing a bull absorb a 300SMK with not so much as a flinch I was wondering if a .338 was big enough!
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

I can be convinced for the need of a larger 338 when your talking longer ranges and wind. But the average guy shooting average elk does not need nor should feel they need anything larger than a 30-06 or a 270.
If you can shoot a heavier recoiling gun as good as a light one then rock on but your average guy get pounded sighting in then is all messed up when you put them in front of elk and then it's you job to put down the wounded game so he can get his pics and tell everyone that you have to shoot a cannon for elk cause they are so tough. BULL!!!

Put a bullet that expands through there lungs and they are dead. Just my two cents.

PS: Friend don't let friend shoot elk with 7mm's.
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Nonya I was in no way reccomending anything.. I was asking a serious question.. This quote sums up exactly what I was asking and feeling.... Sorry to ruffel your feathers I tried to make it as pc as possible and stated that I was just venting many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406pat View Post
I didn't think the O.P. was trying to recommend one caliber over another, I think what he was getting at is that sometimes people assume that a larger caliber will make up for a lack of skill. Before I get shelled for that statement I'm not saying that just because someone shoots a big magnum they have no skill and are just trying to compensate... not at all. It takes a lot of practice to be able to shoot the bigger mags at long range and I feel that everyone on this site knows and respects that. I think what the O.P. was getting at is that some people, especially those just starting out or people that are just plain recoil shy, might be better suited sticking to a smaller (still adequate though) chambering that they can shoot more consistently than forcing themselves out of their comfort level with a big magnum because Bob down at the gunshop tells them anything less will just bounce off. They just might have to limit themselves range wise. It's all about knowing the limits of yourself and your equipment.

I personally would rather hunt with the person who can put 5 shots into one hole with a .270 and waits for a clean hear lung shot than the guy who picks up the magnum of the year and one box of shells and thinks that a hit anywhere will make a kill. Again I'm not in any way attacking guys who use magnum calibers, heck I am one! But I didn't jump up to the .300 ultra mag untill I decided to get into long range hunting. The .270 never failed me but I just didn't feel comfortable past 400 with it.

I know quite a few guys who outfit and every one of them will say they've had more clients wound animals with magnums than with the good old .270's and .30-06's out there.

Again I'm not attacking everyone. If you can shoot it effectively and are reasonably sure of a humane kill then by all means use it, be it a 25-06 or a .375 Allen. Just know your limits.
TY for this post.
Unread 07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Put a bullet through their lungs on the wrong mountian and you may spend the next 2 days trying to find out WHERE they ended up dead,lots of people bring this up,and its ALWAYS they guy that has a chip on their shoulder about guys who shoot mags,why else would you bring up a subject that has been rehashed 200 times?