Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Serious question about caliber and elk potential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Serious question about caliber and elk potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

Bottom line... know the capabilities and limitations of your rifle, load and yourself.

-MR
+1 to that. That's what responsible hunters do. Hunting isn't the time to get macho and show off to your buddy that you can hit that elk that's "probably 700 out there". Save that for practice or rock busting. Hunting is about KNOWING you can make the shot. You've practiced the shot and you know your equipment can make the shot. Doesn't matter if its 10 yards or 1000, if you don't feel confident don't take it. Hunting big game isn't the time to try a shot for the first time. A lot of guys can hit WAY out there but only do so in practice. (I'm probably quoting this wrong but in one of his articles Shawn Carlock talks about checking drop using some 1500 yd+ shots, not because he intended to shoot that far but because if you're drops are on at 1500 they will be on at 700. He also talked about how practicing at extreme range makes long range look short!)
If you know you can put a bullet in the boiler room at that range and the bullet will perform at that range then go for it. If there's any doubt don't. I've taken elk at 400 yards with my .270 win but it was a shot I had practiced and the shot was a perfect broadside. Wouldn't have taken it if the elk was another 50 yards out because 400 is where my loads for that setup start to drop off the table and I wouldn't feel confident in a hit.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

To be honest, I'm kind of offended that because I shoot a .338 RUM at 100-600 yards I am "macho". I have grown up shooting larger rifles all my life. I think that by far the most important factors are shot placment and distance, but becuase I dont mind the recoil of a braked .338 RUM I am puffing my chest. I dont have an issue with people using a 270 on elk, I just decided that I liked a bigger cal. One reason for a larger caliber is becuase I hunt in grizzly territory and can only afford one rifle for everything (except a .243 for yotes). Maybe this is not what you guys meant, but it kinda came across as condecending to a new LR hunter.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Fifty you said it much more eloquently than I could even imagine.. Your post was exactly what I was trying to say in the begining.. JE I agree with your posts as well..

I by no means am trying to say that for the expierenced user that a large cal rifle is over kill. If I lived in Grizz country I would be packing a 300 or better for sure.

The Point I was trying to make is that; so many times people that dont know any better are advised "by someone who does know" that in order to take an elk ethicly and cleanly they have to use a larger mag cal. Then these same people read about the capability of the rond and then try to stretch it out beyond there ability because the caliber is capable..

For most of the folks on this site they are truely "Long range hunters" and are indeed in need of a big mag.. Like I said I am not picking a fight or trying to call anyone out.. I am in the process of saving up for a big magnum LR rifle. I have considered everthing from Kirby's 270am all the way to a 338 lapua, or 338am. I was just thinking out loud after reading a few threads where anything less than a super mag was not usefull.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Fair enough. I guess that I may have come across more offended than I was, which I was trying to avoid doing. I figured that you gents were being respecful, it just didnt sound like it to me. But then again, I didnt sound that nice either.

I know what you mean about guys that "know" because they talked to somebody that "knows". It seems like more than 75% of the population around where I live are so miss-informed just because they go off of what somebody else said.

P.S I once had a 7mm and loved it.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

My personal minimum for elk is a 260 Remington. The heavy 6.5 bullets penetrate well and are efficient in flight. I would actually prefer the 260 to the 25-06 on elk. 243 winchesters have got the job done also but I would really feel undergunned and with that round on elk.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Angus,

Didn't mean to come across as against any caliber and didn't mean to infer that carrying a big mag makes one come off as "macho" (that would be pretty hypocritical as I just built a .300 RUM for myself ) My big thing that irks me is people that give hunting and long range hunting in particular a bad name by taking shots that either they or their equipment aren't capable of. Here in Montana, I've seen quite a few animals wounded by people who take 3 shots a year to sight their rifle in and then think that if they can see it they can shoot it. These are the same people that will go out to have a couple beers and brag about how they slung lead into a heard that was way out there.

The public hears these people talking and assumes that everyone that takes a long range shot is just lobbing lead out there like these idiots. They don't understand the time that goes into preparing to make consistent hits range, time that the ethical hunter puts in throughout the year.

Sorry about the rant but this is one topic that drives me nuts. You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to defend myself as a long range hunter and shooter. As soon as I bring up the topic with people who don't know better, I'm automatically lumped in with the guys just out slinging lead. It usually takes a half hour to explain the practice time in the off-season, load development, range finding, ballistic calculations, range dope and shot selection that goes into making one shot on an animal.

Not to get too bunny hugger on everyone but I believe it really comes down to respect for the animal. As long as the animal is dispatched quickly consistently I don't care if you throw a rock. Rock busting and paper punching is the time to push your limits and go extreme. Hunting is when it's time to stick to what you've practiced and know you can do every time. That could be a bow at 15 yards or a .408 at 1200 depending on the persons equipment and skill but it still comes down to knowing that limit and being responsible with it.

Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now. Again I didn't mean to offend anyone based on their caliber of choice. I feel confident that members here are proficient with whatever weapon they use and know and practice their limits. This probably wasn't even a good place for this rant as everyone here knows and respects the level of practice and preperation required in our sport.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

+1

Exactly what I was thinking..