Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Serious Long Range Elk Hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

L apua Hunter

This is the kind of info Iím looking for. So with a good bipod extended to letís say 18-20 inches, it works OK but not the greatest? Better than the knees? (I have never shot off a bipod) Now do you use the same bipod to shoot prone or would it be to high fully collapsed? Horseback 2 bipods would not be a problem.

How does that thing shoot? Iím trying to get the same put together as we speak.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Sponsor

Although it is not my favorite shooting position, I carry the Stony Point shooting stix just for this reason. I too have encountered shots that require a high sitting or kneeling position to make. I use the stix slid against a bipod stud in the front and lock up in a 2 hand supported sitting or kneeling in the rear. This is very steady but I am not as effective with it as being on the ground prone with a bipod. My max range is 800-900 yards this way.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

When using shooting sticks in the sitting position use a strap or piece of rope and rap it around your knees and rest your elbows inside your knees, it is very steady this way. It is also good for glassing.
Drags
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Be thankful and just enjoy watching the bull. Remember, success does not depend on killing an animal. Heck you can buy beef or whatever meat you like at grocery store.

Just enjoy the site and come back another day and better prepared to make the shot.

Let the Bull Walk. Remember, the sport is "hunting" NOT "killing".

Mike Alford

Last edited by mikenc; 02-17-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Hey royinidaho

That would freak (Shorty my go to horse) out with a bad wreck coming for sure. I shot my first bull off my knees and after I realized I was sitting on the trail right between my horses hind legs I almost freaked out. He just stood there. Was a little excited to not notice the horse being so close.

Yep the realities of hunting
Shorty's only happen once in awhile. Treat him good!

"Was a little excited to not notice the horse being so close. "

Yeah, we are at the moment, we think, calm cool and collected. However, it ain't the way it is. Again be thankful for shorty.

My 12 pounder with the heavy front end pretty lousy off the knees. I'd say I would at least consider a shot not further than maybe 200 yards.

I have a set of shooting sticks that are super trustworthy at any distance with a 10 pound sporter with sporter fore end. I regularly shoot 1K prone with it in 338 RUM. But with the heavy front ended rifle and wider flat forend, it looses its uniqueness and things start flopping around.

I make my own bipods but they are not compatible with horse back hunting. It would take a bit of time, during the heat of the moment to mount it. Don't need another thing to worry about right then.;)

Also, my horses have been too tall, and I'm to short to have tried shooting over the saddle thing. It would work for up hill though.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Hey royinidaho

That would freak (Shorty my go to horse) out with a bad wreck coming for sure. I shot my first bull off my knees and after I realized I was sitting on the trail right between my horses hind legs I almost freaked out. He just stood there. Was a little excited to not notice the horse being so close.

Yep the realities of hunting
Shorty's only happen once in awhile. Treat him good!

"Was a little excited to not notice the horse being so close. "

Yeah, we are at the moment, we think, calm cool and collected. However, it ain't the way it is. Again be thankful for shorty.

My 12 pounder with the heavy front end pretty lousy off the knees. I'd say I would at least consider a shot not further than maybe 200 yards.

I have a set of shooting sticks that are super trustworthy at any distance with a 10 pound sporter with sporter fore end. I regularly shoot 1K prone with it in 338 RUM. But with the heavy front ended rifle and wider flat forend, it looses its uniqueness and things start flopping around.

I make my own bipods but they are not compatible with horse back hunting. It would take a bit of time, during the heat of the moment to mount it. Don't need another thing to worry about right then.;)

Also, my horses have been too tall, and I'm to short to have tried shooting over the saddle thing. It would work for up hill though.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

At this point you have your horse and pack horse tied to something, because we have all tried to catch horses in the hills and "will never do that again". I have worked as a guide along the northern Yellowstone Park line, for long enough to know, it never goes the way you want it to when elk hunting. I do know that I am responsible for a lot of "chance of a life time bulls" and every situation takes a bit of inginuity. The little screw type deals for climbing trees come in real handy. Stoney point expandable bipods are always there also, but are borderline for most people to pull off a 800 yarder. At 800 yards stability is a must, so it only takes a minute to Jerk your saddle off. If you have a pack horse yank of your mantees, or panniards they are just big sand bags.