Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Serious Long Range Elk Hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Serious Long Range Elk Hunters

Bear with me. You are horseback riding a narrow elk trail that contours around the side of a large canyon. You look down and about 800 yards away next to a stand of timber there stands the heard bull that you have been watching all summer. You slide off your horse pull your 1000 yard rifle out of the scabbard range the bull make the adjustments now all you have to do is shoot. But what do you do? Itís straight up and down with sage brush and mountain grass. The short 6Ē bipod will be of no help not only that there is no place near to get prone. Heís got you pegged and the time is slipping away.
Now I consider myself a better than average shot off my knees out to about 300 yards but hitting my truck at 800 off my knees would be a chore. With my go to rifle he is simply out of range and I would let him go. But I have this nice new 1000 yard rifle and he is mine if I can just get it solid.

So I guess my question is what if anything have you guys done to overcome this dilemma. Taller bipods shooting sticks run up and down the trail looking for some place to rest the rifle or simply not shooting. Where I hunt I can see this kind of thing happening every day. In consideration for the animal the shot has to be well placed and at 800 yards you are not going to get that done well off your knees even though the rifle is capable of the shot.

Now I could lay it across the saddle and make the shot but the trouble with that is that you have to catch the rifle on the way down after the horse bucks it off. Gonna have way too much money in the scope for that.

Your comments are appreciated

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Banned

Stalking skills
Old 02-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Just went to taller bipod,13-25 for that reason ,, however stalking skills +10, or back off set up for next hunt with out bumping..
Lowcountrywildlifemanagement@gmail.com
Genesis 9;2
Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

I wonít argue that your stalking skills have to be refined and in my shop there are enough elk and mule deer horns to show that I can get it done. But to stalk deer or elk you have to find them as they can move many miles at night or when spooked especially elk. If looking for one bull in particular you have to cover lots of ground and we use horses for that. Just was wondering if there is a few techniques for shooting over tall grass or sage. Here where I live I will watch the same bull for weeks.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Very interesting scenario.

With the anticipation build up from the summer scouting and the excitement of the moment, the heart and head aren't communicating real well. The first thing would be get in control of the situation. Mind over matter, so to speak.

This could be your only shot opportunity for the season.

800 yds straight down and he's a herd bull. Got some size on him. You're gonna need a helluva horse.;)

I've never passed on a an elk shot, lack of opportunity, but have passed some decent muleys due to circumstances.;)

I'd just get into a somewhat comfortable setting position. Put the rifle on the ol' knees and sit there and ponder. If it ever gets comfortable, then possibly take the shot. This may not be so good as the only time I tried it, it was on a moose at 70 yards. I was waiting for him to turn. My hand must have got cold or the excitement was as controlled as I tho't. The rifle fired and resulted in a hit high in the leg. The good part was that it turned him.

While you are in this contemplative state, there may be some decent ideas come to mind. That's is, if you are not the type that 'locks' in on the ways things should be and can't accept the differences of that particular shot opportunity. Which usually ends up in a clear miss..

In similar situations I've see the Harris Type bipod slip at the shot. I've seen them fold up when shooting at a high angle uphill shot.

You may wish to tie up a rear leg of old Dobbin, ya know, the ol' lariat from the saddle horn around the hock and back to the horn then pull and the leg comes up. Then tip the ol' boy over, up hill of course;). He'll be as steady as a rock when you make the shot over the saddle skirt.

Of course you'll want plenty of pics of this. And your horse will most probably not go huntin' with you again.

Situations as you present are the reality of hunting.

If worse comes to worse, observe, enjoy, remember and ride on.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Hey royinidaho

I know you are well aware that many of us have shot with the rifle across the saddle but not with a brake in place. That would freak (Shorty my go to horse) out with a bad wreck coming for sure. I shot my first bull off my knees and after I realized I was sitting on the trail right between my horses hind legs I almost freaked out. He just stood there. Was a little excited to not notice the horse being so close.

I think your right shooting from the knees. I donít know about it with a 12 lb. rifle though. Maybe lots of practice and catch him somewhere in the 20 inch wobble when it looks right.

Yep the realities of hunting

Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

Bipod...

I encountered this situation a couple months back. I was cow elk hunting, and the elk were in relatively flat and snow covered sage. I have a Harris Bipod attached to my .338 Lapua Magnum, so I merely extended the legs and shot from sitting position. However, the distance was only 460 yards (very hard to range in those conditions!). Prone would have been much steadier.