Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Serbu BFG-50A 50 BMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Re: Serbu BFG-50A 50 BMG

By far the best information and the BFG50-A I have found. I've been interested in this rifle but this is the first time I found any information as to accuracy and reliability.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

Say Mr. Allen, have you shot any of the 800+ grain Lapua(or others) bullets out your .510AM? What velocity were you getting? How`d they shoot and whats your favorite .50 match bullet? Also what B.C. do you use for the 750 A-MAX?

Off topic, but have you ever shot any of the .375 Cutting Edge bullets?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserflat View Post

I've been working with the Cutting Edge 338 solid copper MTAC round and it turned out to be very promising. I just finished up my load development and at 200 yards 3 shots touching with 1 flier making the group under 1/2 moa, @ 500 yards 5 shot group 3" with vertical dispersion 1.2", 4 of those shots are under 1.5". Needless to say these are my go to rounds now.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserflat View Post
Say Mr. Allen, have you shot any of the 800+ grain Lapua(or others) bullets out your .510AM? What velocity were you getting? How`d they shoot and whats your favorite .50 match bullet? Also what B.C. do you use for the 750 A-MAX?

I have not tried the Lapua 50 cals, never had much reason to go with anything other then the A-Max as they are more consistant over a wide range of bore diameters. The solids really have to be matched very close to bore diameter to shoot really well. When they are matched well, they shoot great, when they are not a good match, can be really frustrating.

Have not tested the 375 CE bullets yet.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Some have been interested about the Serbu BFG-50A rifle but were not impressed that it could not be used with Hornady A-Max 750 gr bullets from the magazine box and that using them single shot method was difficult in this rifle.

So, I decided to test my BFG-50A with the A-Max just to see if I could get them to shoot. First off, let me state that this rifle has been nearly 100% as far as function. I have never had any real issues that way. Accuracy wise, it is a consistent 2 moa rifle at long range with most surplus bullets, those being Ball, AP, API, APIT and full incendiary, as well as the Barnes 647 gr TSX and the Lehigh 650 gr match ball. Now, certainly some groups are a bit less then this, occasionally some of the surplus projo go a bit wider then this but I feel 2 moa is an honest impression of the accuracy it will produce in the 500 to 1000 yard ranges.

I had to test some customer rifles so I decided to load up some test loads to see what would actually happen using the 750 gr A-Max in this rifle, not as a single shot but trying to get them to function out of the magazine.

I decided to use some of my surplus WC-860 as I have ALOT of it and it works pretty well with the surplus projos. Knowing that I am likely not going for 1/2 moa groups with this rifle, I felt the cheap surplus powder would work just fine.

Started at 210.0 grains and worked up. The trick was seating the 750s deep enough to function out of the magazine box. Seated them to 5.455" which leaves about 0.070" from the ogive to the case mouth, NOT MUCH. Just for added insurance, I gave the outside of the case mouth a good deburring. Nothing extreme but took the sharp edge off to make sure it did not hook up on anything while feeding. After seating the bullets, I also bumped the case mouth with the crimper slightly again just to make sure it was pressed firmly against the bullet body.

Here are the results, again remember, this is a short 26" barrel and also gas fed action:

210.0................2506 fps..............38 fps ES
212.0................2531 fps..............39 fps ES
214.0................2552 fps..............16 fps ES
216.0................2567 fps..............20 fps ES
218.0................2579 fps..............19 fps ES
220.0................2601 fps..............14 fps ES
222.0................2622 fps..............5 fps ES
224.0................2637 fps..............7 fps ES
226.0................2653 fps..............6 fps ES

The ES numbers are based on 5 shots of each load so not a huge test sample but still, to get 5 shots into single digits consistently, pretty damn good.

There was not a single FTF or FTE with any load tested. All loads were loaded in new Magtech brass using CCI-35 primers.

The top load of 226.0 gr of WC-860 showed the very slightest hint of pressure with some faint ejector rings on the case head but I have come to learn in the 50 BMG this does not mean much as far as pressure reading goes, especially in semi-auto rifles.

All primer pockets were virgin tight after resizing the brass and reseating primers in the fired and sized cases.

Accuracy wise, I would say they averaged better then 2 moa but a decent amount. Close to 1.5 moa which again, for a rifle of this design and shooting but bullets seated WAY off the lands, I was plenty happy.

So, if someone wants better ballistics out of their Serbu, apparently the 750 gr A-Max is totally capable of being fired out of this semi-auto rifle with good results.

Again, if your looking to get 1/2 moa class accuracy, give me a call, we can set you up with one of my custom built AR-50s in either 50 BMG, 510 Allen Magnum or 510 Maximus or one of my lighterweight Tactical XHS rifles in 50 AT but for something with serious firepower if you ever need that type of thing, this is a great choice.

I admit, I was a bit nervous hearing about all the function problems with this rifle early on but can say this has NEVER been a problem. I should not say that, I tested some once fired LC cases to start with that did short stroke and I believe this was because their base diameter was to large for the relatively tight Serbu chamber. I have yet to have any load using new cases have any function problem of any kind.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com