Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Serbu BFG-50A 50 BMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Serbu BFG-50A 50 BMG

I love my Serbu BFG-50A! I too had some short stroking and miss fire issues and all got fixed very fast by Mark. When I got it back I unloaded a full clip of API's and that was just bad azz!!! Great write up!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzdude View Post
I love my Serbu BFG-50A! I too had some short stroking and miss fire issues and all got fixed very fast by Mark. When I got it back I unloaded a full clip of API's and that was just bad azz!!! Great write up!
I believe about 90% of the short stroking issues are a result of low pressure ammo in current rifles. It seems that early versions of this rifle had relatively rough chambers which were causing some issues with extraction, short stroking and broken extractors. My BFG-50A however seems to have a very smooth chamber. Time will tell.

One also needs to realize that when you handload for a 50 BMG, you want to load it to the 50 to 55,000 psi range and no more. Loading it to the point where the pressure will permanently deform case brass will also result in a lot of problems. These huge cases have ALOT of baring surface to the chamber, if you load them to high in pressure, that's ALOT of grip that has to be overcome to clear a fired case.

Point being, the 50 BMG is a relatively low pressure chambering, load it to its designed pressure ranges and most function problems tend to go away.

Just got my APA bipod in and will be moding the Serbu to mount that bipod as high as possible to keep COG low. I also got the leg extension kit and extended cant locking lever, should be a good fit, just have to get the rifle converted to allow it to mount the bipod.

Glad to hear your happy with your Serbu, how long have you had it and how many rounds do you have through it. I would agree, running 10 rounds through a 50 BMG is certainly an event to witness as a shooter and witness!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

My chamber also seems to be pretty smooth. One thing also was that the gas port on the gas tube to the gas block was a little small. My buddy opened it up a bit and the short stroke went away but still had the miss fire issue. Thats when I sent it in and they completely took care of the issue. I've only got about 60-70 rounds through it at this point. I'll be looking to reload with the API projectiles pretty soon. Let us know how the bipod work out for you.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Was your misfire issues a result of an out of center firing pin? From what I hear, that was a main issue with earlier rifles and with a 50 BMG, the firing pin needs to be pretty well dead center for proper primer ignition. A bit loose headspace can also be a serious problem with misfires.

The 50 BMG primers need a serious amount of impact energy to ignite them.

From everything I have heard, Serbu has taken very good care of his customers with these problems, another reason I decided to invest in one of Marks rifles.

I am really surprised that Mark has not designed an adjustable gas port system similar to most of the piston driven AR-15 rifles. That would really help with the small gas port problems. With the wide variety of 50 BMG ammo out there, having the ability to adjust your gas port diameter would be a huge benefit. Three settings would be plenty, one with a large port for low pressure surplus ammo, a smaller port for higher pressure match ammo and a shut off position so that someone could shoot the rifle as a single shot if they wanted to suppress their rifle.

Course all that would add cost to the rifle and I believe Marks goal was to get a great rifle out at a more reasonable price then the Barretts and I believe he has done that very well.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Bronze Member

Yes I was getting off center primer hits and they replaced the bolt, bolt carrier, recoil spring and trigger hammer spring. Works like a champ now using Lake City API rounds. I agree the adjustable gas port would be a good idea but like you said, he want's to keep cost down for his customers. I'm really happy with my purchase. I've shot it at 1200 yards at a 16" steel plate, was a little low first shot adjusted the scope and hit it on the second shot. This thing is pretty acurate, I want to see what it will do at 1 mile.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

And that's with ball ammunition, load up some match quality ammo, even if using match ball projos like the Lehigh and it should do even better.

Maybe I need to look into designing an adjustable gas port that's an aftermarket option for this rifle.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Gold Member

GREAT writeup! Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with the SERBU. Your proposed mods would be interesting indeed.

I am disappointed to learn that a semi-auto cannot be used with the 750g AMAX. That would be my bullet of choice in a .50. Can the SERBU 50A be fed single shot, if desired? I am given to wonder if there is such a thing as a single shot follower for the Barrett Mags.