Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sendero SF II 300RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sendero SF II 300RUM

What kind of accuracy should I demand out of it??? I have this sucker all decked out and just about everything just haven't rebarrelled it yet.
-Stock A5 with all the trimmings
-Trigger upgraded to the old remington that is worked over REAL nice
-Action was trued and the lugs lapped
-Competition recoil lug
-Custom firing pin and bolt shroud
-Side gill Brake

so everything is done just a factory barrel. I am a good loader and am gonna shoot some 190 HVLD's out of it. Should I chase the "1" hole or be satisfied with something else til it gets a custom barrel??? I haven't played with a factory gun trying to really make it shoot in a while.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sendero SF II 300RUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
What kind of accuracy should I demand out of it??? I have this sucker all decked out and just about everything just haven't rebarrelled it yet.
-Stock A5 with all the trimmings
-Trigger upgraded to the old remington that is worked over REAL nice
-Action was trued and the lugs lapped
-Competition recoil lug
-Custom firing pin and bolt shroud
-Side gill Brake

so everything is done just a factory barrel. I am a good loader and am gonna shoot some 190 HVLD's out of it. Should I chase the "1" hole or be satisfied with something else til it gets a custom barrel??? I haven't played with a factory gun trying to really make it shoot in a while.
With certain loads my Sendero SF 7mm STW will shoot 1 ragged hole groups, and it's all factory. Had her for 11 years now (since new). Most accurate factory gun I've ever owned, next to a custom .308 Win that would literally stack 3 in 1 single hole. My 2nd most accurate factory gun is my Remington 700 5R MilSpec .308 Win. with a 24" barrel. She'll stack 'em in there, too.

I would be very happy with cloverleaf groups out of ANY factory rifle. But there's no reason why you can't atleast TRY to squeeze some more accuracy out of it... If it does, good for you, if it doesn't, you still won't be disappointed because you'll be shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA groups out of a factory rifle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

1/4 would make me happy, If I can't get it she will get the custom barrel too in the off season I suppose.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

If you snatch that SFII factory barrel off, holler at me. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Properly bedded and torqued down it should shoot MOA with good factory ammo and better with handloads.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

Your rifle sounds very similar to mine. If I do my part, it shoots one ragged hole groups at 200 yds. I would try the 215 Berger if you can find them. My barrel is on its way out so I just ordered one this week. Going to change it to a 300 Win Mag this time.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMAN View Post
Your rifle sounds very similar to mine. If I do my part, it shoots one ragged hole groups at 200 yds. I would try the 215 Berger if you can find them. My barrel is on its way out so I just ordered one this week. Going to change it to a 300 Win Mag this time.
my last RUM loved 215's I have a bunch on backorder lol like most of us. This barrel has only seen 20 rounds of factory ammo for the brake in so it is fresh. If I make this a custom later on I don't know what I will make it?? with the bolt face and magazine size and the reamers I own my options are 300RUM, 300WSM, 7SAUM.
I really wanted to start this project with a sendero in 300win. But the RUM came along and we will see. I had a sendero in 300win it was custom barrel and it REALLY shot! I even tried to buy it back but it was already down the road. lol