Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sendero Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: Sendero Issue

My question is where did u get the velocity u used to build your turret? If your zero is good and the gun is grouping well, And the come ups aren't working I would guess the velocity that was used to build the turret is not right. We always start with a chrono velocity up close (500 yards) to get in the ball park, but then have to validate the velocity (tweak it) to make it work for come ups. shoot it at 500 yards and see how much come up is needed.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
As a responsible shooter you absolutely have to know where you bullets are going. 100, 200, 300, yards... etc. and if in doubt start over. If things are really a mess, 50 yards or less.

I helped run a shooting club for a number of years and one Sunday I was running the trap fields when a new shooter / new member showed me his new Kimber 45 which he was going to break in that morning. He came back to the trap range after about an hour and told me he didn't hit anything, puzzled I asked what range he was on, turned out he was shooting 50 yards, needless to say we had a little talk. And since then the club has instituted policies to try to prevent this from happening again. You always want to know where your bullets are going. I am sure I had a few leave the range but that was when I was a newbie and now as a hunter when I scout I am always trying my hardest to fully understand the background for my shots, I even use satelite maps that are free such as Zillow and Bing.

Yours is not a stupid question. It's a good question and it is good to see it out there to remind all of us.

I am sure your Sendero is a great rifle, there is a good chance I am going to purchase a good used one soon. You will get the bugs out I am sure.

I guess I should've clarified that to. The land is ours (not a shooting range) and no one else was out there but my spotter and I. We have our range set up on a very clear and wide open pipeline. As for the gun it groups very well at 100 yards almost can put them all in one hole. I had never used it for long range shooting just hunting. But I will shoot at 200, 300, 400, and 500 to see what in the world is going on.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
My question is where did u get the velocity u used to build your turret? If your zero is good and the gun is grouping well, And the come ups aren't working I would guess the velocity that was used to build the turret is not right. We always start with a chrono velocity up close (500 yards) to get in the ball park, but then have to validate the velocity (tweak it) to make it work for come ups. shoot it at 500 yards and see how much come up is needed.

We have a chrono graph. The same one we have used for all our rifle data. It has been dead on with all my buddies CDS turrets and dead on with my other 300 Win Mag Kenton Turret, and dead on with my 7mm Rem Mag Kenton turret. It's even laser etched with the velocity I gave them. I zeroed the gun and put the turret on as I did with the other rifles. Maybe they made a mistake on their part? I don't know. I will have to put targets up at the other distances and even see if its tracking right
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRemMag View Post
We have a chrono graph. The same one we have used for all our rifle data. It has been dead on with all my buddies CDS turrets and dead on with my other 300 Win Mag Kenton Turret, and dead on with my 7mm Rem Mag Kenton turret. It's even laser etched with the velocity I gave them. I zeroed the gun and put the turret on as I did with the other rifles. Maybe they made a mistake on their part? I don't know. I will have to put targets up at the other distances and even see if its tracking right

Make sure that you get all this information down with pictures as well. If they messed up on your turret then you will have proof that they did and can send them all of the information.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Gold Member

Possibly a different scope base being used on each rifle and one scope running out of elevation travel ?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Make sure that you get all this information down with pictures as well. If they messed up on your turret then you will have proof that they did and can send them all of the information.
I will do that once I head back out there. Maybe tomorrow afternoon if the wind dies down some. It's very windy today. I haven't checked the turrets yet but at only 20fps difference the markings on each should be very similar if not identical on both rifles.