Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sendero II, is it an improvement ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sendero II, is it an improvement ???

I have a .264WM Sendero-II SF, and it's the most accurate out of the box, factory rifle I have ever bought (not counting 40XB's, etc).

I bought it because two friends bought them and are shooting 1,000yd "F" class with them, OUT OF THE BOX!!

LRH member #23
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

I have never handled a I, but both my Dad and I have IIs and love them. Mine is a 7mm RM and Dad's a 6.5 WM. Both are shooting 1/2 MOA with little work. Both have been bedded and added Kiplinger trigger, that's it.

I would have to say, however, that the palm swell is not the greatest fit.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

I've got a VSSF II (the short action Sendaro). I didn't like the new grip much until the first time I pulled the trigger. The palm swells place your hand in the perfect position for a smooth trigger pull. My gun is in 204 and there is no way you need a gun that heavy for the 204 but man is it fun to watch stuff blow up through the scope. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

I own the original SF Sendero in 300 RUM. This gun is an easy 1000 yard rifle, and has been very precision accurate with most hand loads I have tried. I love the stock, sort of a combination between a hunting stock and varmint - best of both worlds.

I was going to buy the new HS SF II, but after handling it, decided what I already had was by far the nicer rifle, and I value it even more now that it has changed to the SFII (for the worse IMO).
Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Bearless,
I don't like the grip on the sf2 stock. Personal thing I suppose, but a lot of other folks report the same thing. The higher gloss action and the black and gloss barrel is eye catching. But, I think overall the first Senderos were nicer. Nicer grip, and not so flashy looking.

That said, they're both great rifles.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

I think it is. Here is a shot of a buddy lining his up on a 745 yard gong.

This one is in 300RUM and is shooting 200grain Accubonds around 3150fps. I didn't like the palm feel either at first but after spending some time with it on the bench it feels a lot better.

We have done a few mods to personalize it and make it shoot better, we bedded the action and lug nice and tight, installed a Jewel trigger set pretty light, a Holland QD brake installed by Darrel Holland himself. I polished the brake with 400 grit to match the finish on the barrel. Holland cut the length of pull to fit my buddy better and installed a better recoil pad. It has a NightForce 20MOA rail on it with Burris Signature Zee rings on it. He is saving up for a Night Force scope to replace the Nikon heavy reticle special he has on it now.

It's one nice piece now. Pretty much equal to my Accumarks now.

The only other Sendero I ever messed with was a 25-06. It was one of the first ones that came in all matte black. I must have shot 200 handloads through it looking for an accurate load. I never could get it under 3" at 100 yards. Remington said it was within spec so it was sold. This new SFII shoots 1/2" so far.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

That rifle looks familiar! Mine has the defensive edge brake. They sure are great looking. My experience with the grip was the other way around. I didn't notice anything wrong with it in the store. But when I started shooting...Yuk. Looking at your picture (and having one), I'm betting my lunch money his pinky is under the grip. Leaving only two fingers to hold a grip that doesn't really fit anything.

OK, some folks like it. I can't see how. I ordered a replacement stock for mine...Too bad really. It's a fine rifle. Equal to Accumarks now? Hah! It started better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]