Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sendero fans, What is your favorite round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Sendero fans, What is your favorite round?

I just picked up a Sendero in a .300 Win Mag, and wanted to get a few opinions from fellow Sendero shooters about which round they like best out of their weapons for long range hunting (Muley's and Elk). I'm open to comments about factory and handloads. The June/July issue of EHJ had a pretty interesting section on factory rounds, and I wanted to know what other Sendero shooters had to say. Thanks for your opinions guys!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sendero fans, What is your favorite round?

I have one in 300 win mag as well. I shoot reloads out of mine. I was shooting 175gr Sierra Match Kings on whitetail deer out to 600 yards. Never shot it beyond that nor at anything bigger than a whitetail.... but they were effective on coyotes Javalina and deer. I recently decided to go bonded so shoot the 180gr Nosler Accubond. Hasnt seen any time in the field yet but hopefully will this year. It's very accurate with both loads and the gun is completely stock other than a muzzle brake. I shoot accubond out of every one of my magnums because I'm a believer. They are accurate and I've recovered every animal I've shot at. I recovered a perfect mushroom out of a deer last year 140gr Accubond in 270wsm performed beautifully. Now I know a whole lot of people love Berger, I have a buddy that does too. I personally had a bad experience with it shooting a Javalina at 150yrds with another 300 win mag I have...so I decided to go ahead and stay bonded. I realize that that could happen with any bullet but makes me more confident knowing my bullet will mushroom and not fragment into shrapnel.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

At one time or another, I have owned, or still own, just about every caliber that Remington made on to a Sendero, except the 270, 25-06, and the big Ultra mags. That being said, if your question is what are the most accurate one, well that would be a seven mag, in the black finish, and a .300 SAUM. The seven was a honest to God 1/4 minute gun, and the 300 was as well. My first 7 STW was a sendero, and I still have that one. It still shoots as good as it did when I first got it. I just built another 7 STW, using a Sendero barrel, that was in Excellent shape. I prefer the original stock over the SF II stock. The palm swell is somewhat awkward at times. I also think the original Stainless Sendero barrels were better than late models. My 2006 300 Ultra mag, was an excellent shooter however. I think that the sweetheart of the bunch is a Seven Mag, ( and of course, the STW).
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

I too was not a fan of the palm swell. I have on order a Game Scout from McMillan. It is a little lighter as well which is a big bonus for me! Every little ounce off this beast helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

210 Berger Hunting VLD is Hard to beat. As well as the 230 OTM's. Going to test the 215's next. Load em over H-1000 and enjoy your long range hammer.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 06-11-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM

My favorite is my 7mmSTW it's a hammer I shoot Cutting Edge ballistics 160 gr MAX bullet the bullets are expensive but It is not something I shoot all the time LOVE SENDEROS
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDog View Post
I just picked up a Sendero in a .300 Win Mag, and wanted to get a few opinions from fellow Sendero shooters about which round they like best out of their weapons for long range hunting (Muley's and Elk). I'm open to comments about factory and handloads. The June/July issue of EHJ had a pretty interesting section on factory rounds, and I wanted to know what other Sendero shooters had to say. Thanks for your opinions guys!
My Sendero 300 Rum just shoots the hell out of the factory Remignton full power 180gr Sirocco II's. See attached 300yds target

Remington also makes 300wm ammo with the sirocco and I'll probabl try a box or two of them this fall im my M70.

I have a Mod 70 300wm that shoots the hornady superformance sub MOA out to 600yds. I haven't tried it beyond that since it's my light weight pencil barreled short to medium range "truck gun".

The 180gr SST is a great bullet for deer, and they also make it with the 190gr interbond which is an exceptional deer or Elk round at the ranges the 300wm is capable of reaching to.

Heck for Deer even the 165gr interbond isn't a bad choice.

When it comes to factory ammo Hornady has always performed exceptionally well for me and I've shot a lot of it in a bunch of different calibers. The Remington premier is expensive, but so far it has shot very well for me too.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Sendero fans, What is your favorite round?-300rum300yds.jpg