Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sendero Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sendero Advice

When I guided deer hunters, I hated muzzle brakes. Having a brake installed was the best thing I've done since I started LR shooting. The rifle kicking & hurting my tender little shoulder isn't the reason. Being able to spot my own hits @ 400yds is why I love it. It's loud, & I'm better about wearing ear protection now than I ever have been. Lol
Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 AM
Gold Member

My preference is the 7 mag, for all the reasons Litz' article mentions. After shooting a good variety of "bigger" calibers, I have come back to the 7 and no more muzzle break.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpa View Post
montana,
what about the .300 leads to longer barrel life? And how much "better" will the .300 do it? I was under the the general consensus that the difference between the 7 and the .300 was splitting hairs...i realize most of these responses are left solely in the hands of personal prefference but im really wondering what (if any) are the "cut-n-dry" advantages of either caliber over the other?

It would be money saved not to have to add a brake if you know what i mean...In that perspective your saying it would be a matter of 7mag unbraked vs. .300 braked for recoil...unless in fact the break aids to accuracy, that of which im wondering how? could you ellborate

BTW thanx for all the help fellas i realize you might all be rolling your eyes at what novice questions i might be asking...either way you are all helping me make important decisions as the money i will be spending is a small fortune to guys like most of us!!!!
The 300 is less overbore than the 7. I burned out a 7RM in about 1000 rounds. I've never owned a 300 WM but I read you can expect 1500 round or more out of them if you treat them well. There's at least one member on here who has over 2000 rounds through his and it's still shooting very well.

The brake is a personal choice. Some people like them and some don't. I've never had a braked rifle but I'm having 2 built at present with brakes, the main reason being the ability to spot shots which is a huge benefit in LR hunting. The other being just more pleasant to shoot. Some also say it facilitates accuracy because of less flinching. And maybe it helps barrel harmonics? I'm not too sure about t that. I shot my unbraked 300 RUM fairly accurate - .5 MOA or better. Maybe it or I would have a little better with brake? In the future all my good kicking rifles will probably get brakes. You should be able to shoot a 300 WM OK without a brake in a Sendero for maybe 20 rounds. If you don't get a brake, I would highly recommend a slip on decelerator pad. They work great. I could shoot my RUM all day with one.

Good shooting.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

BTW, I have a lot of respect for Bryan Litz and after reading the article it seems that one of the arguments made for the 7 is that it can push heavier bullets faster. I'm not too sure about that. In the 7RM Sendero, you should be able to push a 180 bullet about 3000 or so. 3000 fps was max for 160's in my 24" 7RM. Might have got them going a little faster with Retumbo or RL17. The 300 WM Sendero should be able to push a 215 gr bullet close to 3000. When it comes to hunting, there is a significant difference between a 7mm 180 gr bullet and a 30 cal 215 gr bullet. Not exactly splitting hairs. Ballistics are close but not terminal performance.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

I struggled with the choice between the 7Mag and the 300WM. I already owned a few 6.5x284's which were not substantially different from the 7mm at 1000 yards for deer sized game, with the benefit of strong ballistic performance. I went with the 300 with Berger210's at 2800FPS. I think it's a better round for the bigger game like elk and has better barrel life at these velocities and case/bore dimensions. Accuracy is superb. iMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

2800fps sounds better for a 300 win too. 3,000fps in a 200+ gr bullet is more in the RUM category I think, unless it is a custom 300 win.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
2800fps sounds better for a 300 win too. 3,000fps in a 200+ gr bullet is more in the RUM category I think, unless it is a custom 300 win.
Depending on barrel lengths, throats, powders etc., I would say close to 3000 fps would be expected on the high end for both the 180's in the 7RM and 210-215's in the 300 WM. 3000 fps is a typical max velocity for 160's out of 24" 7 RM and maybe another 50 fps for a 26". With the right combo of barrel and powder 3000 would be possible for 180's but 2800 fps would be more common.

I have shot 210's @ 2935 out of my 24" 300 WSM over RL17.

When comparing apples to apples, a 300 WM is going to shoot a 210-215 bullet about the same velocity that a 7RM is going to shoot a 180.

EDIT: My 300 RUM shoots 210's @ 3130 over Retumbo

~ John Quincy Adams