Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sendero Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sendero Advice

Southpa, with any factory production rifle there is a chance to get a lemon. I've had that unfortunate experience with a Sako. Senderos have a much better track record than most other factory rifles and I think a lot of that is due to the quality stock they are put in as well as the heavy barrel. That said, I have read an occasional bad story with a Sendero, but it has been rare. You will know when you start shooting it. If it's a bad shooter, then best to send it to a smith for a look over and maybe a skim bed job. A timney trigger wouldn't hurt right off the bat.

Good luck, chances are you'll like it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

The 7rm is a great cartridge. Being that you don't handload its more than spliting hairs, so throw out some of what you have read. Most people that give reviews of a bullet or cal are talking about fine tuned hand loads. You are at the mercy of factory match grade ammo and that for me would determine which cartridge to go with. If i were shooting box ammo it would be a 308 or 300 win. 5, 6, 700 yards can be longer than most are willing to admit under unknown hunting condition. Choose wisely and practice often.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Bronze Member

I like mine really well. I bought mine to get started long range shooting too. I like the idea you have on the 7Rem mag as well, maybe even a 300 Win mag, for barrel life.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

I have two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

I have taken them to my gunsmith and he installed jewell triggers and skim bedded both of them.

I really love them and they were consistently shooting .5 MOA three shot groups before the new triggers and bedding work was done and now consistently 1/3 MOA three shot groups.

I handload for these Senderos.

I would highly endorse you getting a Sendero!

I also love my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scopes that are on them.

I would love to acquire a Remington 700 Sendero SF .338 RUM!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpa View Post
Thanx guys,

Montana-how would you know if you got a lemmon? Will it just not perform? Lets hope that doesnt happen.....

Also,
Ive heard a lot about .300 this and 7 mag that and so and and so forth but all of my novice research has leaned me towards the 7 mag as it seems like one of the most popular rounds. Ive heard that the 7m has better down range retention of energy, less recoil, better and cheaper availability of factory ammo, etc. etc. etc. Can anyone give me facts/ideas on this...
small difference. i have both , only shoot the 7mm mag now. both have brakes. one has a shilen trigger one has a jewell.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
I have two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

I have taken them to my gunsmith and he installed jewell triggers and skim bedded both of them.

I really love them and they were consistently shooting .5 MOA three shot groups before the new triggers and bedding work was done and now consistently 1/3 MOA three shot groups.

I handload for these Senderos.

I would highly endorse you getting a Sendero!

I also love my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scopes that are on them.

I would love to acquire a Remington 700 Sendero SF .338 RUM!
I don't want to rabbit-trail/hi-jack here so maybe this is better in PM, but......

Gamehawker, I know you must have a solid reason for having duplicate rifles/same chambering - would you please help me understand why this is a good thing?

BTW, i am *dense* in the noggin'....
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I don't want to rabbit-trail/hi-jack here so maybe this is better in PM, but......

Gamehawker, I know you must have a solid reason for having duplicate rifles/same chambering - would you please help me understand why this is a good thing?

BTW, i am *dense* in the noggin'....
Well, the 7mm STW Sendero is a slightly hard to find rifle/caliber combination and Remington stopped manufacturing them in the early 2000's. Mine were manufactured in '97 and '98.

I have been wanting one for a long time and last year I came on an opportunity to acquire a slightly used one from an estate sale at a really good price and then a month later from one came up for sale (only slightly used too and also a really good price) in the classifieds on this website so I bought that one too.

I absolutely love this caliber and it is sort of an addition once you shoot one. A number of members on this website has 3 or more 7mm STWs, i.e., "Long Time Long Ranger" I think has 5 of them. And the Sendero platform can not be beat!

Look at this thread on this website; there is a great following of this caliber:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...sterner-88228/

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum