Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sendero Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 PM

Sendero Advice

First off let me start by saying hello, ive spent countless hours reading through the topics here and finnaly decided to join and ask my own questions...

Heres the short and sweet (sort of short if i can) of my situation,

Ive big game hunted my whole life and have taken my fair share of animals close (within 200 yards). Recently ive been facscinated by the popularity of longe range hunting. Ive been kicking around the idea of purchasing a rifle thats capable of shooting long. I dont have the money to spend on a fully custom rifle so Im looking at the remington sendero chambered in 7 mag and topping it with some good glass, possibly a g7...

I have read what seems to be every article about the Sendero vs. every other production rifle on the market. The weight doesnt bother me, the price is affordable (for me) and from what ive read its hard to beat the 700 action as a platform to build off if i should choose to futher customize down the road? I do not reload but plan to as i dive deeper into this infatuation we all posses. I am not a shooter (yet) im a hunter. Im not yet particulalry concerned with shooting a 5 inch group at 1000 yards but more with being able to make effective, ethical, kills at 5, 6, 7 hundred yards and quite possibly farther should i become competent and and capable.

I realize this topic has probly been beat to death multiple times but is this rifle matched with some good glass capable of doing what i have mentioned? Do you fellas think it is a good choice for a guy who wants to start shooting long but doesnt have 5-7k to spend on a custom rifle? All opinions and experiences appreciated!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sendero Advice

I'm shooting a Sendero & several guys I know are too. I haven't shot any other factory rifle long range, but I love mine & my friends love theirs. Put good glass on it & you'll be in business for a while. Welcome to your new addiction. Enjoy
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

I've got 300 RUM and a 25-06 Sendero's. Both are .5 MOA or better shooters. The Sendero is a good LR platform and as long as you don't get a lemmon you should be able to do what you are planning. A great platform to learn LR.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

leup 6.5-20 and a sendero. start reloading soon . get a good laser range finder.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanx guys,

Montana-how would you know if you got a lemmon? Will it just not perform? Lets hope that doesnt happen.....

Also,
Ive heard a lot about .300 this and 7 mag that and so and and so forth but all of my novice research has leaned me towards the 7 mag as it seems like one of the most popular rounds. Ive heard that the 7m has better down range retention of energy, less recoil, better and cheaper availability of factory ammo, etc. etc. etc. Can anyone give me facts/ideas on this...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

I love mine in 7mm Rem Mag.

Bed the action (or have it done), have the trigger tuned or replaced and off you go!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

Choosing between the 7mag and the 300 win or rum is like splitting hairs. I went through this same decision process as well. They will all work and will all get the job done. One thing that steered me a little bit was this article: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid. Some great information on what can be done with the 300win. In the end, I went with the 300 RUM just for the flatter shooting bullet, but I will tell you that it kicks a bit and most people would probably want a break on that caliber. Continue to read up on as much as you can, but know that no matter which caliber you choose, you will be in good shape!