Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Semi auto for long range hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM

Semi auto for long range hunting?

Whats a good semi auto for long range hunting?
I'm thinking about getting a long range rifle but really want semi auto.
and I also think i want it in 308, I just don't know what model to get or where to start?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Semi auto for long range hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelukai1100 View Post
Whats a good semi auto for long range hunting?
I'm thinking about getting a long range rifle but really want semi auto.
and I also think i want it in 308, I just don't know what model to get or where to start?
The "best" semi auto for long range is probably the good ole M1A and of course it comes in .308. If you go with the White Feather model you'll have straight from the factory one of the most accurate SA's if not the most accurate SA made.

If you prefer the AR platform the LR308 from DPMS is a great choice.

I build my own on a DPMS LR 308 upper and lower but went with .260 Rem as it is a fantastic LR caliber.

Here's a picture of it.

It's a pretty good shooter so far too holding .7moa at 1030yds.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Nemos 300Win mag,they make em right here where I live.Known for accuracy
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'd really consider Browning or FN. I have both in 308 and they shoot 1/2 to 1" with factory ammunition. FN's has a chromed line barrel and they guarantee reliability to 10,000 rounds. I have the FNAR but it is in the hunting stock version, they come up on gunbroker occasionally. Absolutely awesome, new, $1,100., you won't look back. My Browning BAR is awesome too, same caliber. As far as real long range, I'd buy the Browning BAR in 300 win mag or maybe 338 win mag.

The M1a1 is great too, just not a hunting rifle and more expensive, but a keeper too.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I'd really consider Browning or FN. I have both in 308 and they shoot 1/2 to 1" with factory ammunition. FN's has a chromed line barrel and they guarantee reliability to 10,000 rounds. I have the FNAR but it is in the hunting stock version, they come up on gunbroker occasionally. Absolutely awesome, new, $1,100., you won't look back. My Browning BAR is awesome too, same caliber. As far as real long range, I'd buy the Browning BAR in 300 win mag or maybe 338 win mag.

The M1a1 is great too, just not a hunting rifle and more expensive, but a keeper too.
I have to ask... . Just what makes the M1A not a long range hunting rifle?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

I guess I think of long range as over 600 yards, so it's more the caliber I guess. That's why I recommended the 300 wm or 338wm, they have more horsepower. My feeling is the 308 caliber isn't the ideal long range hunting round. It seems to me a medium range round for hunting.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I guess I think of long range as over 600 yards, so it's more the caliber I guess. That's why I recommended the 300 wm or 338wm, they have more horsepower. My feeling is the 308 caliber isn't the ideal long range hunting round. It seems to me a medium range round for hunting.
In general I'd agree but .308 is the caliber he said he wanted.

It's more than capable of taking deer sized or smaller game/predators out to 1,000yds.

Most of us generally look to the various magnums however because we have a little Tim Taylor "More power" in us LOL.

I wouldn't hesitate taking shots at deer, coyotes, bobcats, or even a rabbit at that range with the .260 under the right conditions.