Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Seasoning a new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

Seasoning a new rifle

Just picked up my wby 300 mag Ive read on here about seasoning a new gun, can someone give me the details?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Seasoning a new rifle

seasoning a gun is about like seasoning a steak. some of us do, and some of us dont. there dosent seem to be any proof one way is better. enjoy your new gun.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

I like to clean the barrel after every shot for the first ten shots, and then after every five for the next hundred. I use sweets solvent to clean with for breaking in the barrel. Dont do that fire lapping sh** . just keep your barrel clean and if its any good it will shoot.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

The whole idea behind seasoning or breaking in ar barrel is simply to polish the barrel using bullets. I believe Krieger's website gives a good set of directions on doing this. When you shoot your rifle the bullet will deposite small amounts of jackett materieal by every little burr in the barrel. If you remove the material and expose the burr before each shot, theroretically you will wear the burrs down to a fine polish.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

I was always told and believe in a break in. Agree with the 1 shot for ten and then 5-10 clean again.
mike
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

The main advantage in breaking in a new barrel is that if you properly clean until
the barrel is broke in it will fowl less from then on.

To prove this I shot a rifle 50 times with out cleaning and it took almost 4 hrs and
many patches to clean it back to bare bore condition.

Then after every 5 shots cleaned again. and it took several swabbings and a dozen
or more patches to clean back to bare bore condition.

I ended up having several hundred rounds through it before it would clean up very
easy.

And after comparing it with a bore scope to a barrel that was broke in using the shoot
and clean method I was amazed at the difference. (Both barrels were the same make
and caliber.

The barrel that was not broken in took over 200 rounds to settel in and the one that
was broke in started shooting and cleaning very well after only 12 to 15 rounds.

So now I break in "ALL" new barrels !!!!!!

Most of the custom barrel makers recomend a break in procedure.

The choice is yours.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Bronze Member

Barrel break in is very impotent for the life of the barrel as well as consistent shooting. When I get a new rifle I always take it out of the stock and run a tight patch through with a good solvent like sweets. Let it set for a few minutes and then run several dry patches. At this point I use JB's bore brite and a tight patch on a jag. Run this patch back and forth slowly about 10 times. Clean with solvent and dry patches again. When the above has been repeated 8 to 10 times then it is time to shoot 1 and clean for 10 or 15 rounds and then shoot 3 and clean for for another 15 rounds. When this done, it is time to sight in the rifle. As a rule I never shoot more than 10 rounds between cleanings.