Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Seal hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 04:03 AM
Bronze Member

Seal hunting

Dave King wrote in the thread "lets all introduce ourselves" <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> SakoVarmint

Very interesting pictures, perhaps some day I'll take you up on a try at shooting seals.

Welcome to Long Range Hunting<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IŽll answer you here so I dont (edited by Len Backus) up the thread.

For the pics look here: http://homepage.mac.com/ivan.silden/PhotoAlbum2.html

Dave. You should try it someday. I know of a perfect spot for LR. I dont know the distance, but I can not see the seals with the naked eye. There is always seals there on that rock. From 5-30. IŽll believe the shot is between 1-2 mile. Maybe more. You have to hit a target no bigger than 5-7 cm. diameter - and you have only 1 shot, then theyŽll be gone in the ocean.

I gotta strain myself to shots at like 300 m. And even then I usually miss.

So I got a lot to learn....

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]
Old 02-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Seal hunting

That looks fun to me!!! Thanks for sharing the pics. Welcome to LRH...sakofan..
Old 02-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

SakoVarmint

Thanks for the new thread and info on those seals... a 1 to 2 mile first shot hit on a 5cm to 7cm (2 to 3 inches) target would be pretttttyyyy good shooting I'd say. How about we start with the really big headed seals and get a little closer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My wife and I've been itching for a vacation and maybe I can convince her she needs to visit the country of her origin and rid it of some of the pests that are endangering it's coastline.

My only problem is that I see you use a boat... I made an agreement with the sharks when I was in the Navy... I stay on land and they stay in the water! It's been a fine arrangement and we've both held to our agreement so I'm a little reluctant to get so close in such a small craft. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Bronze Member

Dave King wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Thanks for the new thread and info on those seals... a 1 to 2 mile first shot hit on a 5cm to 7cm (2 to 3 inches) target would be pretttttyyyy good shooting I'd say.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank god!! If you said that that was a possible shot, that you likely would hit, I wouldŽnt believe until I saw it. Even if I saw it - I still would not believe it.

Let me know if you are planning a vacation to norway sometime. If it is season IŽll arrange permits. I do believe as of this year (or was it next year?) it is possible for foreigners to get a permit. The hunt at sea has until now only been for norwegian citizens - maybe it has something to do with that it is free of charge.

BTW.. there are no sharks here... But I would not recommend taking a bath this time of year anyway :-)

Back to LR and your folks skills about shooting LR. Whats the likely range for you to hit a target about 2-3 inches in one shot?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

SakoVarmint

Thanks for the reply and kind offer...sure could go for a holiday about now but gotta wait a bit.

I'll start a new thread with the 2 to 3 inch target question.