Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Screwed myself...AGAIN!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Screwed myself...AGAIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
I had a buddy order everything to build a detachable mag .338 Lapua. The builder mistakenly chambered it for .338 Edge. He used it on our elk hunt and the mag wouldn't hold but a single round without popping them out. The .338 Lupua brass has more girth and the lips can't keep the rounds secured under pressure. His needs altered.
I don't know which bottom metal/mags he has so I can't say if you'll have that problem.

WOW. How about the bolt face? Did the donar action have a .532 boltface or the bigger Lapua bolt face? I am thinking that it had to be the correct one, because I wouldn't be in the same county when he pulled the trigger if it were wrong!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

The bolt face is correct, the builder was going to open it up but never did.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

Well, it looks like I resolved the issue. Took the mag up to my local, brother-in-law owned machine shop and had him mill out, little by little, the BACK side of the front groove.....worked his way forward just enough to let the sholders pass. We left the front part of the grove in place, keeping contact with the sholder, which in turn keeps the case from slamming forward into the front of the mag during recoil. Thus, the bullet points are still protected and my OAL won't change with each shot.

Thanks for the help.

Tod