Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Scope setting to far forward and cheek pad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Scope setting to far forward and cheek pad?

Hey fellas, My rifle seems to fit me well however, I have a Simmons Pro 50 scope on Weaver base and rings set as far rearward as possible and find I still have to crane my neck forward to see the full reticle ( eye to scope distance seems to far) have any of yal experienced this and if so what do you recommend to fix it? My cheek also seems to need to rise about the height of a finger width( if I wrap my finger over the top of the comb my cheek seems to be at the right place). I looked at the hornady cheek pads but they seem to be nothing more than a shell holder with little lift to the cheek and other pads seem to high. What do yal recommend? Thank's, Brad
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope setting to far forward and cheek pad?

I'd like to see a pick of your scope set up, but this will help you get the proper cheek weld.

Karsten's Custom Camo
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
Hey fellas, My rifle seems to fit me well however, I have a Simmons Pro 50 scope on Weaver base and rings set as far rearward as possible and find I still have to crane my neck forward to see the full reticle ( eye to scope distance seems to far) have any of yal experienced this and if so what do you recommend to fix it? My cheek also seems to need to rise about the height of a finger width( if I wrap my finger over the top of the comb my cheek seems to be at the right place). I looked at the hornady cheek pads but they seem to be nothing more than a shell holder with little lift to the cheek and other pads seem to high. What do yal recommend? Thank's, Brad
Do you have a picatinny rail mount? If so slide it back. If not get one.

No more rise than you need these should fit the bill.

I really like these cheek pads.

http://www.amazon.com/ACCU-RISER-MOLDED-BLACK-CHEEK-REST/dp/B003EUBO80
I've used both the strap on and permanent mounted styles and they've worked very well for me.

The Black Hawk is another very good one.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

I've been using weaver mounts and rings. Will weaver rings fit a picatinny rail or do I also have to get picatinny rings? Thank's, Brad
Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

This is a Marlin MR7 with wood stock. Cannot find composite stocks to fit unless it's special inleted. I like the Karsten cheek piece however, is it common to put these cheek peices on wooden stocks. I'm a little leary of drilling holes in my stock though it may be best. Thank's, Brad

Last edited by RangerBrad; 09-06-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
I've been using weaver mounts and rings. Will weaver rings fit a picatinny rail or do I also have to get picatinny rings? Thank's, Brad
A Picatinny rail IS a Weaver base, just with more grooves (and maybe .020 shaved off the front to give you more UP to your scope). You need extension rings and maybe medium instead of high. One prob with scopes like Simmons is reduced eye relief. So to solve that you get lower extension rings if they'll fit without the obj end touching the barrel. If not then buy the lowest ext rings you can get and make sure you turn them the right way when you install them (towards the shooter).

Good luck.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
A Picatinny rail IS a Weaver base, just with more grooves (and maybe .020 shaved off the front to give you more UP to your scope). You need extension rings and maybe medium instead of high. One prob with scopes like Simmons is reduced eye relief. So to solve that you get lower extension rings if they'll fit without the obj end touching the barrel. If not then buy the lowest ext rings you can get and make sure you turn them the right way when you install them (towards the shooter).

Good luck.
Yep. I'd just go with the picatinny rail mount so that you have more flexibility which could really come in handy if/when he decides to upgrade the glass.